[WSIS CS-Plenary] World Forum Communication Rights

Sean O Siochru sean at nexus.ie
Fri Aug 15 18:09:46 BST 2003

Claire - you asked is the World Forum on Communication Rights going
ahead?  Very much so!!

We have spent the last number of weeks refining the concept and gaining
support and funding, with considerable success.  We have formed the Forum
Organising Committee (with the telling acronym of FOG).

Within a short time, we will send more details around and have our Website.
And we will be promoting the event at PrepCom III, Cancun and elsewhere.

Bye for now, but watch this place.

At 01:31 14/08/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi
>
>The following was in the Benton Foundation newsletter... just wondering
>what the state of play is with the CRIS plans for a 'world froum on
>communications'... anything happening, or has the plan been abandoned..??
>
>Thanks
>Claire
>
>_______________
>
>DIGITAL DIVIDE/WSIS
>
>SWISS AIM TO BRIDGE DIGITAL AND POVERTY DIVIDE
>This December, Switzerland will host the first phase of the World Summit on
>the Information Society (WSIS), a meeting whose key aim will be to bridge
>the digital divide between developed and developing countries. A special
>three-day event, the World Electronic Media Forum, will be held in Geneva
>and broadcast live by satellite around the world, including real-time
>contributions from several continents. Panels, workshops and keynote
>speeches will examine topics such as universal access to information,
>freedom of expression, cultural diversity and economic development.
>Organizers are looking to raise the profile of the event, particularly
>after
>earlier concerns that a lack of interest and substance could threaten the
>meeting. Marc Furrer, director of the Federal Communications Office
>(Ofcom), said he wants to see concrete results from the summit rather than
>just dialogue. "We would like to see a substantial declaration with
>solutions that can be financed," he said. "But I am aware that the
>declaration won't change the world," he added.
>SOURCE: NZZ Online; AUTHOR: swissinfo
>http://www.nzz.ch/2003/08/08/english/page-synd4108487.html
>World Electronic Media Forum press release:
>http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2003/pi1494.doc.htm
>World Electronic Media Forum homepage:
>http://wemfmedia.org/
>WSIS homepage
>http://www.itu.int/wsis/
>ICT for Development Platform at WSIS:
>http://www.ict-4d.org/

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

Seán Ó Siochrú  Central office: tel:  +353 1 473 0599 fax: +353 1 473 0597
NEXUS Research  Mobile: +353 87 20 48 150
14 Eaton Brae   Direct office tel: +353 1 272 0739  fax: +353 1 272 0034
Shankill
Co. Dublin              e-mail: sean at nexus.ie
Ireland                 Web site: http://www.iol.ie/nexus