[WSIS CS-Plenary] On-line access to government services - and alternatives

Kenan Jarboe kpjarboe at athenaalliance.org
Tue Aug 19 18:57:18 BST 2003

A routine administrative announcement by the US State Department yesterday
highlighted an issue that I believe has not been adequately addressed: the
right to access information and government services in numerous formats -
including non-digital format.  Yesterday, the State Department announced
that it would no longer accept paper applications for its "diversity visa"
program (this is the annual visa lottery) (see State Department press
release:
<http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2003/23329.htm>http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2003/23329.htm).
All applications must be submitted through the State Department web site
and include a digital photo.  As some immediately pointed out, this places
those who do not have easy access to the Internet (especially in poor
nations) at a major disadvantage in applying for the program.

The thrust of the WSIS is to increase the utilization of ICT for a number
of beneficial purposes: poverty reduction, health care, education
etc.  However, the function of  ICT is to increase communications and
access to information.  What if ICT is used to decrease access -- not
simply through means of censorship -- but inadvertently by shutting down
other forms of information access?

Unfortunately, this substitution process seems to be exactly what is
happening in the push for e-government.  By putting everything on-line and
only on-line, governments (with the best of intentions of improving service
and cutting administrative overhead) shut down existing non-digital forms
of access.

There has been some focus with the PrepCom process on the importance of
traditional media and community media --and on multiple access points to
the ICT network.  My point is different: that access to public information
and government services must be available to citizens in a format that they
choose -- for some (like me) it may be on-line, for others it may be
paper.  The issue is not just access to the ICT network, but the
preservation of existing channels of access to information and government
services.  Not everyone will ever be "wired" -- either by choice or by
circumstance.  [The importance of maintaining alternative mechanisms was a
lesson that US banks learned the hard way when they attempted to switch to
an all ATM system and reduce or eliminate tellers -- and their customers
revolted.]

Somewhere in the Declaration we need a statement of the principle that ICT
should be use to enhance and supplement existing access to information and
government services and not substitute for existing forms of
access.  Otherwise, we risk creating an information superhighway system
where the only way to get to government services is by the ICT-equivalent
of having to drive on the autobahn in a Porsche when we also need the
information and communications access equivalents of taking the bus, riding
your bicycle or simply walking.

Our focus must continue to be on information and communications -- not
simply on information and communications technologies.  I would submit that
there is a big difference between the two.

Ken Jarboe

Kenan Patrick Jarboe, Ph.D.
Athena Alliance
911 East Capitol Street, SE