[WSIS CS-Plenary] On-line access to government services - and alternatives

Bertrand de LA CHAPELLE lachapelle at openwsis.org
Sat Aug 23 16:53:16 BST 2003

Thanks for calling our attention to this evolution. This can
be put alongside the recent decision by the US government to
request visas for visitors who did not need it before but do
not have "machine-readable passports" (for more info, see :
http://www.shrmglobal.org/function/immigration/fd061703.htm).

This connects directly to the notion of inclusiveness in
the "information society". A "digital apartheid" could
emerge - unvoluntarily - if some measures are not taken to
guarantee not only access to the modern means of
communication for those who want them, but also to allow
those who can't - or do not want - to still be part of the
community.

It is in the nature of the present evolution that some
people in less developed countries take fully part in the
information society whereas some low-income or aged ones in
highly developed countries stay out. As a result, cyberspace
is becoming a physical "cyberland" with invisible but very
real borders, a society in itself, spreading all over the
globe, albeit unevenly, in a sort of fractal way. And WSIS
is partly about how to define the governance of this new
space and community.

But the biggest issue is how this "community of the
connected" integrates with the non-digital world and how
open it is to those who are not part of it - by accident or
by choice.

If the information society becomes a community gated by
virtual walls, excluding as "inferiors" the un-wired and
creating special lines in airports and public places for the
digital elite while others have to queue for hours whith no
attention, then the promises of this technological
revolution will be betrayed.

The notion of an information society does not mean that
everybody should be connected or rejected. But rather that
nobody should be prevented from joining in or opting out.
Respect for diversity is at stake here as much as in the
cultural sphere.

Stangely enough, this brings connexions to unexpected themes
like the right not to recieve spam, the right to remain
unreachable outside of office hours ... or the desire to
still read a book instead of an online version.

This only reminds us that the whole WSIS exercise is about
coexistence and respect - or at least it should be. The
issues above are only an illustration of the many forms this
challenge can take.

Bertrand de La Chapelle
OpenWSIS
lachapelle @openwsis.org