[WSIS CS-Plenary] RE: [WSIS-CT] Next steps for Content and Themes

John R. Gagain Jr. j.gagain at funglode.org
Mon Aug 25 18:31:16 BST 2003

Dear Sally:

I like what you have outlined in this email below.  I think these are three
concrete steps that will help to bring Civil Society together for probably
the most important Prepcom of the WSIS process.

I particular like point No. 01 below.  I think that CS needs to be more
active and engaging substantively on the two main documents of the Summit
(Declaration and Plan of Action), especially due to the fact that the
purpose of Prepcom 3 is to complete these documents for the Summit in
December.

My comment is that perhaps we can have a one-two page document ready before
Prepcom 3 for all of civil society and especially the newcomers (possibly
could be distributed at the orientation session sponsored by CONGO).  It
would include a list of "past caucuses", possible "new caucuses", how to
schedule meeting space, etc.

* Structured Negotiation Strategy for Prepcom 3

The purpose of this document would be to create a “structured negotiation
strategy”.  For example, when a section of the Plan of Action is being
discussed (i.e. Section 4. Capacity building: human resources development,
education, and training), this caucus could be ready within a moments notice
to address this issue.

* Civil Society “Informal Section-by-Section Dialogue” with Governments at
Prepcom 3

This is particularly important due to the proposal made by the Civil Society
Bureau to the Governmental Bureau during its Joint Meeting in Paris, which
included: an “informal section-by-section dialogue”, which would take place
between Governments and Civil Society on the wording and content of the
documents being discussed by Sub-Committee 2 at PrepCom 3.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that CT had a list of thematic
caucuses circulating during Prepcom 2 in February.  If so, could CT update
this document and integrate it as part of the Structured Negotiation
Strategy for Prepcom 3.

In regards, to points number 2 (priorities document) and 3 (our own civil
society declaration and action plan), I believe that these are also quite
important, especially number three should the governments be unable to agree
in time for the Summit in December.   I think the majority of our energy
could be spent on these two points between Prepcom 3 and the Summit in
December.

I look forward to your comments to my comments.  Thank you for sending the
email at such an opportune time as Prepcom 3 so rapidly approaches.

Sincerely,

John R. Gagain Jr.
Think Tank Focal Point
WSIS Civil Society Bureau
World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS)
http://www.funglode.org/wsis/

Calle Capitán Eugenio de Marchena, No. 26
Edificio de la Fundación Global Democracia y Desarrollo
Ensanche La Esperilla
Santo Domingo, República Dominicana

Tel: 809.685.9966 Ext. 2201
Fax: 212-898-1115