[WSIS CS-Plenary] Open Knowledge Network Launch Next Wednesday

Peter Armstrong peter.armstrong at oneworld.net
Thu Dec 4 17:25:15 GMT 2003

Apologies for any cross posting - but hope this is of interest.

***
Launch of Open Knowledge Network: local content, local people, local
languages

You are warmly invited to the launch of the Open Knowledge Network (OKN)
in Geneva, Switzerland, as part of the ICT for Development Platform
(www.ict-4d.org) and the World Summit on the Information Society
(www.itu.int/wsis
).

Our launch will take place from 16:30 to 18:00 on Wednesday December
10th. It is part of the "Local Voices" event being organised by the UN
ICT Taskforce.  This will take place in Conference Rooms 2 and 3 of the
ICT for Development Platform, in Palexpo Hall 4. See
http://www.ict4d.org/Marketplace/en/Program/ICT4DForum/local_content_kno
wledge/

<http://www.ict-4d.org/Marketplace/en/Program/ICT4DForum/local_content_k
nowle> for more information.

<http://www.ict-4d.org/Marketplace/en/Program/ICT4DForum/local_content_k
nowle>

<http://www.ict-4d.org/Marketplace/en/Program/ICT4DForum/local_content_k
nowle> Professor Swaminathan of the MS Swaminathan Research Foundation
will give the keynote address on the potential and benefits of OKN,
alongside many other OKN stakeholders, who will share their own personal
perspectives. Please join us for what will surely be an animated
gathering of passionate individuals.

<http://www.ict-4d.org/Marketplace/en/Program/ICT4DForum/local_content_k
nowle>

<http://www.ict-4d.org/Marketplace/en/Program/ICT4DForum/local_content_k
nowle> To complement our launch, we are also exhibiting the OKN on stand
235 in Local Content and Knowledge street at the ICT for Development
Platform. In Geneva, we will showcase OKN as an innovative multi-sector
initiative, celebrating the achievements of the first phase and reaching
out to new partners.

nowle> **** WHAT IS OKN? ****

<http://www.ict-4d.org/Marketplace/en/Program/ICT4DForum/local_content_k
nowle>

<http://www.ict-4d.org/Marketplace/en/Program/ICT4DForum/local_content_k
nowle> OKN (www.openknowledge.net) is a human network which collects,
shares and disseminates local knowledge and is supported by flexible
technical solutions.

OKN is not something new.  It's an original synthesis of tried and
tested ideas, building on what is already happening in many different
fields and joining up the dots. It is co-ordinated by IDRC, IICD, the
M.S.Swaminathan Foundation, OneWorld, Accenture and the Berkman Centre
of Harvard Law School.

Through joint efforts, OKN has now begun working alongside several
organisations in Africa and Asia who have taken on the role of founding
"hubs".

In East Africa, we are collaborating with two organisations:
- AfriAfya (www.afriafya.org), a network set up to explore practical
means of harnessing information and communication technologies (ICTs) to
improve access to relevant up-to-date health information for rural and
other marginalized Kenyan communities
- Arid Lands Information Network-East Africa (www.alin.or.ke), which
serves over 1000 grassroots development workers in Kenya, Uganda,
Tanzania and Ethiopia.

In India, OKN is partnering with the MS Swaminathan Research Foundation
(www.mssrf.org), which runs the Information Village Research Project in
Tamil Nadu. The project aims to test whether ICTs can become an ally in
poverty alleviation and whether they can be used as a tool in empowering
the rural poor.

In Senegal, OKN is shortly to begin working with ENDA Cyberpop
(www.enda.sn/cyberpop), a set of human and technical resources to
support and empower the social dynamics of the popular economy in urban
and peri-urban areas of Dakar.

**** WHO IS SUPPORTING OKN? ****

The development of the OKN is being coordinated by OneWorld
International (www.oneworld.net).

OKN is funded by the UK Department for International Development (DfID)
(www.dfid.gov.uk), the Canada Fund for Africa
(http://www.acdi-cida.gc.ca/canadafundforafrica), and the Catalysing
Access to ICTs in Africa (CATIA) programme (www.catia.ws).

OKN's mobile channel development is funded by the Vodafone Group
Foundation, (http://www.vodafonegroupfoundation.com).
 <http://www.vodafonegroupfoundation.com/>
 <http://www.vodafonegroupfoundation.com/> We are grateful to the
Vodafone Group Foundation for their generous support of our launch.
 <http://www.vodafonegroupfoundation.com/>
 <http://www.vodafonegroupfoundation.com/> **** MORE INFORMATION ****
 <http://www.vodafonegroupfoundation.com/>
 <http://www.vodafonegroupfoundation.com/> If you would like further
information about the OKN or its launch, please contact Tori Holmes
(tori.holmes at oneworld.net, telephone +44 (0)207 239
 <http://www.vodafonegroupfoundation.com/> 1400)
 <http://www.vodafonegroupfoundation.com/>
 <http://www.vodafonegroupfoundation.com/> We hope to see you at the
launch event and look forward to welcoming you on our stand! Watch our
for our limited edition invitations being handed out at the ICT4D
Platform ...
 <http://www.vodafonegroupfoundation.com/>
 <http://www.vodafonegroupfoundation.com/> Kind regards,
 <http://www.vodafonegroupfoundation.com/>