[WSIS CS-Plenary] (lack of ) Wireless Access at Palexpo/WSIS - We need alternatives..

Robert Guerra rguerra at cpsr.org
Sat Dec 6 17:58:56 GMT 2003

As you can see from the message below , there is no FREE wireless access
being planned for the summit.

We only get  a 2 hour free voucher, after that it's 1 CHF a
minute...something, which is SHOCKING.

I thus suggest two courses of action:

1. Urgently, find alternate ways we can establish a Civil Society
wireless network at the summit.

We need a Wireless LAN to communicate, to mobilize, and to report back
to those who can not be at the summit.

We need to quickly establish a working group who can identify what
technology might be available, what equipment people could bring to the
summit, and how to bring it all "live" in under two days...

2. Make a political statement - about the role Wireless access..

- that it is needed for development, however a policy decision has been
made at the summit that it is not important, that the information
society  summit does not give spectrum for civil society (or something
like that).

So, we need to move on this - quickly, otherwise we'll have a
communications disaster in 2 days when the summit starts.

regards

Robert