[WSIS CS-Plenary] WSIS CS strategy: discussion and events

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sun Dec 7 20:08:49 GMT 2003

Hi all,

the next two days are extremely important day for CS to position itself
towards the final summit outcomes. This has to be done in terms of
substance, process, and follow-up, as far as I see it. And we have to
make sure that our positions come across strongly and widely.

So far, the following events are scheduled for this:

1. CS Vision
CS Plenary, Monday 9:00 ITU room C
The CS plenary tomorrow at 9:00 (ITU, room C) will discuss the final
draft of the CS vision statement that was sent out earlier today. The
editing team of the drafting committee will then make final polishing
and get it translated. Endorsements will be needed before Wednesday
morning.

2. CS Strategy
Stratey Working Group Meeting, Monday, 16:00, ITU (room tba)
The CS strategy working group set up at PrepCom3A will meet tomorrow at
16:00. The task will be to discuss the general assesstemt and next moves
for CS. This includes a general assessment of the wsis process
(substance&structure), our own position in it and the follow-up. There
is a proposal available from Bertrand de la Chapelle and others on the
follow-up process. We also will have to work on a strategic statement
like the press release from PrepCom3A or the CS intervention at
PrepCom3B. And somebody will have to do a final assessment of the WSIS
declaration and action plan measured against our "essential benchmarks"
document.
New strategy mailing list:
A new strategy working group list has been set up for discussing this.
To subscribe, go to
<http://mailman.greennet.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/strategy>. The group,
again, will take no decisions, but provide a space to focus on these
questions.

3. CS Press strategy
Press team meeting, Monday, 17:00, ITU (room tba)
The group will discuss the organization of the CS press conferences /
briefings during the summit.

All  meetings are open to anyone interested, as usual.

What is missing?

- "Newcomers briefing"
A briefing for all the CS people who have not been at WSIS prepcoms
before or are not familiar with CS structures here was suggested by Rik,
but I don't know if anyone has taken the initiative on this. Volunteers
needed!

- Online CS events calendar
It would be helpful to have a calendar for all the events that are set
up on an ad-hoc basis. Suggestions have been wsis-online.net, using a
WIKI, ...?

Regards,

Ralf