[WSIS CS-Plenary] notes from CS press/strategy meeting this evening

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Dec 8 19:52:23 GMT 2003

Notes from the CS Press / Strategy Meeting
8 December 2003, 17:00-19:00

NEXT MEETING: Tuesday, 17:00, at Palexpo, CS Coordination Offices

1. Vision Document

-CS Plenary this morning:
-Vision adopted with consensus by the CS plenary
-Launching ceremony: Thursday 11 December, 17:00-19:00, Palexpo, Room C
-Final polishing done now (already on line)
-Final version or "work in progress"?
-Some caucus stuff has been ignored, how to incorporate this?
-How to spin it - "not perfect etc"?
-Promote "essential benchmarks" and "vision" both: "most recent key
documents"
-Endorsements:
  oMake sure all our communities that are not here endorse it
  oIndividuals
  oGovernment endorsements? Private sector endorsements?
  oCelebryties?
  -> Send endorsements to Ct-endorse at wsis-cs-org

-Use first two to three pages as our vision, then the rest as our
priorities
-"Not a unitary position, this has been developed by a number of people"
-Caucuses and working groups will have to prepare short statements for
the press conferences for sound bytes

-Make highlights / short version as general press release (half a page)
-Coordination: Annette Mühlberg and Elizabeth Carll

2. general assessment of substantial summit outcomes

-ask caucuses to say what they like or dislike in the official
declaration!
-African caucus has already produced a paper on this (communication
rights, internet governance, digital solidarity fund)
-Coordination: Karen Banks and Adam Peake

3. Press slots / press coordination:

-45 minutes divided into two press conferences
-many slots already taken
-nothing on vision and human rights
-point-counterpoint format: summit declaration vs. our vision
-press team is collating it and drafting press releases
-Document repository: wsis-online.net, news area
-Coordination:
  oCollection of contact information of caucuses: Rik Panganiban
  oGeneral coordination / liaison with secretariat persons: volunteers
still needed, to be decided tomorrow

4. CS strategic statement

Suggestions: on why and how and the whole process for our declaration
  1.we produced a vision
  2.we don't disagree with the list of issues, we disagree with the
order
  3.on the themes: we disagree on this and that!
  4.we are diverse and have a diversity of ideas
- coordination: Ralf Bendrath

5. CS speakers for summit ceremonies?

-we have to protest the way they played with us in terms of speaker
selection
-some speakers were asked on a standby basis, should they protest and
not use their slots?
-Speakers are asked to use their slots for mentioning the CS declaration
-Who will brief Kikki Nordstrom (picked as our opening speaker)?
-Coordination: Rikke Frank Joergensen / Sally Burch

6. Press release: "press conference on CS declaration on Thursday"

Coordination: Community Media Group
Out today

7. Overall Goal: general Press kit ready by Thursday

NEXT MEETING: Tuesday, 17:00, at Palexpo CS coordination Office

COORDINATION of all of this is done on the CS strategy working group
list
http://mailman.greennet.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/strategy