[WSIS CS-Plenary] Censorship on the New Generation Internet (IPv6) Workshop: 9th Dec(13:30-16:30)

Stephane Koch president at isoc.ch
Mon Dec 8 22:48:53 GMT 2003

Dear all,

I am writing to inform you that during the organization of the session on
Ipv6, organized jointly between the European Union IPv6 Task Force and the
Internet Society, that will take place on the 9th December 2003, it was
planned to include Dr Alberto Escudero Pascual in the panel of speakers for
the day. Dr Escudero Pascual would have discussed the issues relating to the
protection of privacy in Ipv6 networks.

Unfortunately, due to pressures but also threats of boycott from Mr Latif
Ladid, the organizers of the conference decided to remove Dr Escudero
Pascual from the panel. One can wonder about the real motivations of Mr
Ladid relating to his will to obscure the discussion about privacy
protection issues in the context of Ipv6.

It is interesting to note that it is not necessary to live in an
undemocratic country to suffer from censorship. It is even more worrying to
observe that, even in the context of events organized by Civil Society, one
can easily excert such pressures at the detriment of the objectivity of the
debate on this subject.

It seems to me that we have the full responsibility, as the principal
component of Civil Society, to represent as well as we can citizens, the
protection of their interests and therefore their privacy. If we do not,
then who will?

Alberto Escudero Pascual Web site
http://www.it.kth.se/~aep/

Best regards
Stéphane Koch
Président, Internet Society Geneva

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
stéphane koch
Internet Society Geneva
President
Rue des Corps-Saints 4
1201 Geneva
Switzerland

Fax: +41 22 731 6007
Mobile: +41 79 607 57 33
Email:  president at isoc.ch
ICQ: 21021944
PGP Fingerprint: 6A46 CC2C 0B6E 6024 86AE D989 42E8 992A 1DA4 DE05
www.isocgva.ch (Local)
www.isoc.ecc.org (Europe)
www.isoc.org (World)
Internet Society Mission Statement:

"To assure the open development, evolution
and use of the Internet for the benefit of all
people throughout the world."

More on: www.isoc.org/isoc/mission/