[WSIS CS-Plenary] Sustainability in the information society

Yves Loerincik yves.loerincik at epfl.ch
Mon Dec 8 07:06:07 GMT 2003

*** Please excuse us if you already received this information***

Dear colleagues,

 We write to invite you to participate in a side event at the World
Summit on Information Society: "Sustainability in the Information
Society". The event addresses the assessment and management of the
environmental implications of Information Technology (IT). Important
issues include:

- Significant use of energy and toxic materials in the production of IT
hardware,
- The problem of what to do with the mountains of waste computers,
- How IT can be used to reduce fossil fuel and resource use, by
increased telecommuting, for example,
- How IT can be used to enhance the management of air/water quality in
developing nations.

 The event will be held 9:30-12:30, December 10, 2003 in Room Cervin at
Palexpo in Geneva. More information regarding the event  can be viewed
at http://www.wsis.ethz.ch/wsissideevent.htm  Registration is not
required, but we would
appreciate knowing if you plan to attend so that we can get a rough head
count in advance.

Please, we would appreciate if you could forward this invitation to
people that you think might be interested.

Hope to meet you in Geneva. Thanks for your attention.
Sincerely,

Yves Loerincik
Group for life cycle systems and industrial ecology
Swiss Institute of technology (EPFL)
Lausanne
Switzerland