[WSIS CS-Plenary] statement by High Commissioner for Human Rights to WSIS, 11 Dec

Rik Panganiban rikp at bluewin.ch
Fri Dec 12 18:06:04 GMT 2003

Office of the High Commissioner
for Human Rights

World Summit on the Information Society

Statement by
Mr. Bertrand Ramcharan
Acting High Commissioner for Human Rights

PALEXPO, Geneva

(10.00 p.m.)

Contact person: 	Osamu Shiraishi
Telephone: 022-917-9282
Fax: 022-917-9010
e-mail:

Original language: English

(Please check against delivery)
Mr. President,
Excellencies,
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am honored to address the World Summit on the Information Society,
the Summit where world leaders have gathered to set a path in this area
for the future of the global community.

With the emergence of the Information Society the world is going
through profound changes which have the potential to substantially
transform our lives and the lives of future generations. We seek to
build an Information Society where people and individuals are placed at
its centre, where human dignity is firmly upheld and where human rights
are recognized as its guiding principles. How can we best ensure that
these principles are reflected in an Information Society? How can we
make  best use of information and communication technologies (ICTs),
which are the vital tools and building blocks in this endeavor? These
questions await our answer, our commitment and  our concerted action.

Throughout the preparatory process for this World Summit, we have heard
about and discussed international human rights standards. These
standards have been developed on the basis of the United Nations
Charter and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and constitute a
set of internationally adopted norms, relevant to all spheres of life.
I want to reaffirm these standards today in particular in the context
of formulating our common vision of the Information Society.

Mr. President,
Your Excellencies,
Ladies and Gentlemen,

We all should be concerned about the potentially negative impact that
the dramatic advances in telecommunications, broadcasting and other
forms of information and communication technologies could have on human
rights. Rapid advances in surveillance and security technologies can
have a chilling impact on freedoms of expression and association and
new technologies can also be used to restrict access to information. At
the same time, and with due regard to the freedom of expression,
governments surely have an interest in seeking to prevent the
dissemination of hate and racist messages, child pornography and other
abuses of human dignity.

These issues remind us of the serious responsibility of those who have
the means, power and authority to ensure that technologies are applied
for the promotion and protection of human rights and human dignity.

Let us remember that information and communication technologies are not
only means of exchanging and disseminating information, but crucial
tools to improve the enjoyment of human rights such as the freedom of
expression, the right to seek, receive and impart information; the
right to privacy; the right to an adequate standard of living; the
right to education; the right to health; and the right to development.

The principle of non-discrimination demands universal access by all to
information and services as an overall goal. All individuals,
communities and peoples should be able to enjoy full and equal
membership in the Information Society of the future. These technologies
can bring enormous benefits to people in developing countries or
countries in economic transition, and make government more accessible,
transparent and democratic. Information and communication technologies
can also preserve cultural diversity and multilingualism, and support
marginalized and vulnerable groups-including migrants, refugees,
children, persons with disabilities, the elderly and people living in
rural areas. Such technologies can also accommodate the special needs
of girls and women and be used as a tool to promote gender equality.

In my Human Rights Day message of yesterday, I pleaded for the world of
the Universal Declaration to become reality for all the world’s
peoples.  I pleaded for democracy, the rule of law, and for justice.
Today, I join all of you to renew our commitment to building an
equitable, participatory, democratic Information Society where all are
free from fear, from want and from prejudice and fully enjoy his or her
human rights.

Thank you.
  Rik Panganiban             email: rikp at bluewin.ch
  Special Adviser            Mobile: +41 76 473 3274
  World Federalist Movement  www.wfm.org