[WSIS CS-Plenary] seattle/geneva

Rik Panganiban rikp at bluewin.ch
Thu Dec 18 09:52:33 GMT 2003

Sasha,

I agree with the general thrust of your argument.  In fact I would take
it a step further and say that while we are fighting for ways to keep
ourselves at the table instead of huddled in the lobby or shouting in
the street, we also are developing our own methods of reaching
consensus and solutions to these IS issues.    So we continue to work
with the flawed modalities that we are offered to a point, and we
develop our own better mechanisms among ourselves, and invite other
stakeholders to join us.

I also agree that we should have this discussion on minimum
requirements for our own participation, both collectively and for each
organization.  I.e. a Beijing-level of "participation" would be
unacceptable at this point.  If these requirements are not met, than we
have to resort to other (nonviolent) methods to get our message heard.

The point to emphasize is that there is only one summit, with two
phases. So all modalities developed so far should remain in effect. And
if they are changed, they should be enhanced, not diminished in the
run-up to Tunis.

Regards,

Rik Panganiban
WFM