[WSIS CS-Plenary] Reply to Mr. Ronald Koven

Ronald Koven rkoven at compuserve.com
Fri Dec 19 08:40:57 GMT 2003

Dear Sasha Costanza-Chock --

I'm sorry, but your accusation about me was clearly not made tongue in
cheek, It was clearly made seriously and in anger, and I think that the
persons who were standing with me when you made it can testify to that. I
consider your statement to the contrary to be disingenuous. But if it
constitutes an apology, I accept it.

Nor do I recall calling Cees Hamelink a Stalinist. I know exactly what I
think of Cees Hamelink, who is BOTH an old friend and adversary of many
years standing and whom I have often debated. Our disagreements have always
been respectful, civil and friendly. As far as I'm concerned, he's a very
fine chap. Cees has floated many dangerous ideas, but he's certainly not a
Stalinist (even if a Stalinist would be happy to exploit some of his more
extreme ideas on regulating free speech/press freedom). Cees is far too
openminded and willing to change his position to be a Stalinist. That said,
I have had Stalinist friends who were intellectually honest and did not
indulge in some of the rhetorical tricks that I have heard you use on
occasion.

As to whether we have better things to discuss on this list, given that my
inbox regularly overflows with endless messages about who is going where
and when and a number of other things of interest to one or two persons at
most, I think that setting the record straight on WPFC's position is well
worth doing.

Along with the other major press freedom groups, we have called for a
transfer of WSIS II from Tunis, or its cancellation, unless and until
Tunisia demonstrates its respect for human rights, notably free speech/free
press.

And that the Swiss police can be rough and tough is absolutely nothing new.
Democratic police states are rife in Western Europe. Welcome to reality.

Best, Rony Koven