[WSIS CS-Plenary] WSIS next phase is different...

William Drake wdrake at ictsd.ch
Sat Dec 20 13:09:57 GMT 2003

Hi Sean,

This is helpful.  I would just add a point with respect to structural issues that I also made yesterday on the governance list.  There is no guarantee that the UN will necessarily look exclusively or even first to the CS structure that's evolved for CS input on the working group and task force.  We already had a situation where ISOC did a press conference on Internet governance early at WSIS, so (as I understand it) the governance caucus was told there was no need for it to hold one covering the same ground.  Generalizing the point, now that things are getting interesting, CS or nominally CS organizations that have not participated in our structure may wish to weigh in on the working group and task force, and the UN in turn may wish to selectively reach out to organizations or individuals it considers to be luminaries to represent third sector views.  Which is to say that we will need to think not only about how we want to organize internally, but also how we want to position ourselves in relation to/liaison with other nonparticipating organizations, as well as the UN.

Best,

Bill Drake