[WSIS CS-Plenary] [Proposal] Surveillance Society Status Report Session in Paris meeting

Mark Silbergeld msilbergeld at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 15:06:12 BST 2003

Since Consumer Federation of America does not have travel funds for the Paris meeting, we would appreciate surveillance notes and be most greatful to whoever agrees to make and distribute them.

Mark Silbergeld
Senior Fellow
Director of International Issues
Consumer Federation of America

"Alan G. Alegre" <alalegre at fma.ph> wrote:
Dear all

This is a wonderful suggestion from our Korean colleagues. Though I will not be in Paris, I think this is important from the perspective of Internet Rights, and would be interested in participating in sourcing and managing this info even beyond the intersessional meeting.

As I assume many will also not be in Paris next week, maybe through this list country assessments could still be submitted online, and pursued as an ongoing project by all civil society groups/country stakeholders. Concretely I am suggesting that:

1) The Surveillance Status Report session be docoumented and translated and shared online to all of us not there.

2) Someone (Korean Civil Society Network? APC Internet Rights people?) suggest a short outline or framework of national situationers/status reports. This could facilitate uniformity of formats for documentation and comparison purposes.

3) All reports received could then be put into a database or uploaded into a website (ideally both), which could be the repository of all of this. (AT least the regional data for Asia-Pacific could be uploaded to the WSIS CS Asia site?)

4) Link up with other people doing similar surveys (APC again, Reporters San Frontieres, etc.) so that info could be shared.

4) One of the CS "families" adopt this as a project, that could be integrated in the planned Communication Rights Summit parallel to WSIS.

Thoughts?

Al