[WSIS CS-Plenary] [Proposal] Surveillance Society Status Report Session in Paris meeting(2)

=?ks_c_5601-1987?B?wMzAur/s?= ewlee at horizonlaw.com
Thu Jul 10 08:46:23 BST 2003

Hi. All.

I'm EW Lee a member of Jinbo Net(progressive network) and member of =
Korean Democratic Lawyers Association.=20
YJ Park, YK Chang, EH Lee, PatchA and I am planning to attend the =
meeting.=20
July 9. we suggested a workshop, We all feel so happy to receive many =
member's eager response and precious suggestions.=20

We all expect to meet all of you at the workshop: 'Information Society =
and Surveillance, An International New Scheme to protect Human rights, =
Freedom and Democracy'

To help your understanding, I want to explain why we've suggested the =
International workshop during the intersession meeting in brief.=20

(1) In the information society, the information became more important =
thing. The information has not only the economical value, but also the =
political value and meanings.  Owing to the technologies, the amount and =
quality of available - processable - information became bigger and =
higher. Information became the basic factor and resource of freedom, =
human rights(including rights of labors and consumers), equality and =
democracy.
=20
(2) The Government, industry, employer intend to collect, combine, match =
and merge more informations of the people, consumer, employee. They want =
to control over the information.
=20
(3) The development of the technologies - information communication =
technologies, bio technologies and other surveillanc related =
technologies - enable the Government, industry, employer to collect and =
control the informations almost without limitation. The Government, =
industry, employer control the people, consumer, employee by controlling =
the informations. These controls threaten the democracy, human rights, =
labor's rights, consumer's rights which were obtained and preserved for =
the decades.
=20
(4) These threats are processing very rapidly but surreptitiously by =
technocrats, technicials and experts. Owing to the characteristic of =
recent technologies - centrallization, systemization. The mere few =
simple system can endanger the whole people, consumers, employees.
=20
(5) National ID system, over-centralized e-Government systems, the =
scheme of internet(regulation, filtering, grading, data =
retention...etc.), comsumer's traffic informations, credit information, =
telecommunication systems, workplace surveillance over the employee.. =
these can override the democracy, human rights, labor's rights, =
consumer's rights very easily.
=20
(6) So in the information society, the right over the information became =
the most important agenda.
=20
(7) But till now, each nations and international organizations didn't =
pay much attentions to this issue.=20
OECD guideline and EU directives  about privacy protect focuses on the =
rights of individuals , these guideline and directives take this matter =
in the contractual manner. So these can not be the efficient way to =
protect the democracy and human rights.
=20
(8) Now we need a new scheme, framework and new principles. This =
principles can be the post OECD doctrine.
=20
I think the new principles shall include these things :=20
=20
1. Democracy and Human Rights
The first standard of Information processing.
=20
2. Participation and Determination
Information subject shall have the right to participate in developing =
the information system and shall have the right to determine the =
information system.=20
=20
3. Right to Control
Information subject shall have the right to control the information =
system.
=20
4. Right to know
Information subject shall have the right to know the information system.
=20
5. Separation
=20
6. Independent Supervisor
=20
7. Impact Assessment
 New technologies and systems shall be carefully examined about the =
impact.

(9) I think it will be very valuable work to discuss about the threaten =
of information society, and make new principles.

(10) To do that work, we suggest to hold a session,=20

'Information Society and Surveillance, An International New Scheme to =
protect Human rights, Freedom and Democracy'

In that session, we hope to share the experiences about the threaten of =
information system by Government, Industry, Employer. And discuss about =
the new principles and framework. The topics can be as follows;
- National ID systems.
- e-Government and democracy, participation, control.
- Industry(telecommunication, internet, credit information, location =
information...)
- Workplace surveillance
- Independent supervisor
- How to control the technologies.
-etc.

We are planning to post document about these matters. and proposal of =
new principles.
We hope all of yours opinions about these matters.

Best Regards

EW Lee.