[WSIS CS-Plenary] Civil Society Draft Priorities Document

Jean-Pierre Pinet jeanpierre.pinet at atd-quartmonde.org
Thu Jul 10 21:51:57 BST 2003

Dear all,
I have some remarks on this text.

- Information Society must not only respect article 19 of Human Rights
Declaration but the whole Declaration. Not only principles but all the
actions must be in this cadre. When you take only one article, the poorest
are always the looser.

>see: "An information and communication society that has people and human
needs at its centre implies underlining the importance of human rights
standards as the core set of principles guiding its development"

- It is a little simple to just reafirm the solidarity between richer and
poorer areas of the world (why not between the rich and the poor ?). But
poorest people want now acts. With Internet Society, we have now more skills
to fight poverty. My organisation think that I.S. have to take real
commitments to be credible to the eyes of the poorest.

>"Development cooperation in the area of sustainable development should
reaffirm the principle of solidarity between richer and poorer areas of the
world."

- we agree to this :"The Declaration should include, as a principle and
theme, the maintenance and growth of the commonwealth of human knowledge as
a means of reducing global inequality and of providing the conditions for
intellectual creativity, sustainable development and respect for human
rights" but sharing knowledge is a commitment, specialy when you will share
it with the poorest AND receive from them their own knowledge.

See also: http://www.atd-quartmonde.org/intern/actuint_en.htm#news or The
Information Society for All :
http://www.atd-quartmonde.org/intern/wsis/atd_smsi-contrib_en.pdf

My organisation (ATD Fourth World / International Movement) cannot actually
endorse this document in this form .

thanks,
 Jean-Pierre Pinet
ATD Fouth World Movement (NGO)
114, av. Général Leclerc    95480 Pierrelaye
France
Tel 01.34.30.46.25