[WSIS-CT] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Civil Society Draft Priorities Document

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Jul 11 09:24:28 BST 2003

Thank you, a very good document.

I think it would be a good idea to send the draft to the CS bureau
list.  Are all bureau family members on the CT and plenary lists? (I
know we hope they are.) But as there seems to be some overlap in
responsibilities for assigning speaking slots, and we are (rightly)
asking that a large chunk of the speaking slot on the first day be
devoted to this document, I think it sensible to let the bureau see
it now (they may comment as reps of their respective accredited
organizations if they wish.) I do understand we need to keep the
bureau out of content.

On content.

I would like to see some reference to accessibility.  Disabled and
elderly are very much absent from all documents (we're all going to
get old.  I hope.)  Perhaps a short sentence in the section "Access
and infrastructure issues"?  Not sure of positioning, but suggested
language is:

People with disabilities and others who require special consideration
in terms of accessibility such as the elderly must be able to enjoy
the full benefits of the Information Society."  (Could add but it
gets longer of course: "Information and communication equipment and
services must be designed to be accessible for the disabled and
elderly.")

The short para on open source, I think should begin "Open Source
software/Free Software that enables..." or whatever the accept style
for including both camps is.

In the para "A digital solidarity ..."

International Fund for Internet Bandwidth.  I think might be better
as a International Fund for Internet Infrastructure. That is,
bandwidth plus Internet exchange points, caching and so on rather
than just bandwidth.

Anyway. Thank you very much to those who drafted the document.  Very good work.

Adam