[WSIS CS-Plenary] South African Civil Society Submission

dbarnard at sangonet.org.za dbarnard at sangonet.org.za
Fri Jul 11 15:31:49 BST 2003

Dear Sally, Bill and other members of the civil society working
group

On 30 July 2003 SANGONeT will be hosting a meeting for South
African civil society organisations (CSOs) on the World Summit on
the Information Society (WSIS).

This meeting (or Thetha: The SANGONeT ICT Discussion Forum)
is organised in conjunction with various South African CSOs which
have participated in the WSIS process during the past year, and
which are in the forefront of ICT/CSO issues in South Africa,
including Article 19, Media Institute of Southern Africa (MISA),
National Community Radio Forum (NCRF), Link Centre at Wits
University, Freedom of Expression Institute (FXI), Association for
Progressive Communications (APC) and Women'sNet.

Many of these organisations participated in a Thetha planning
session this morning. In view of the Intersessional meeting of next
week, we decided to draft an interim submission for inclusion in
South Africa's WSIS position.

As we hope to develop a more comprehensive response after the
Thetha on 30 July 2003, we used the Civil Society Draft Priorities
Document as a starting point for our submission, highlighting
issues of specific importance to South African civil society.

Please refer to the attached document - South African civil society
inputs are highlighted in bold.

This document was submitted this afternoon to the convener of the
South African WSIS position, and we would also like to share it
with you for consideration in finalising the Civil Society Priorities
Document.

The mentioned group of South African CSOs does not claim to
speak for South African civil society in general. However, we think
it is crucial that civil society views be included in the development
of the South African WSIS position, as well as the international civil
society position.

At the meeting on 30 July 2003 we will share information on WSIS
more broadly among civil society organisations, discuss positions
that reflect the interests of civil society and develop a process to
involve a much wider section of the civil society sector in thinking
through the issues around the WSIS process.

We therefore look forward to receiving the updated version of the
Civil Society Priorities document, and feedback on the outcome
of the Intersessional meeting.

Best wishes

David

David Barnard
Executive Director
Southern African NGO Network (SANGONeT)
Tel: (+27) (11) 838-6943
Cell: (+27) (82) 870-8968
Fax: (+27) (11) 492-1058
E-mail: dbarnard at sangonet.org.za
WWW: http://www.sangonet.org.za

If you are using Pegasus Mail, or any another MIME-compliant system,