[WSIS-CT] RE: [WSIS CS-Plenary] About comments to the documents

Sally Burch - ALAI sburch at alainet.org
Fri Jul 11 19:56:49 BST 2003

John,

First, just to say that consensus is not synonymous with
unanimity: it means that in the spirit of achieving a common
position, there are no overriding objections.

However, concerning your point, it has been clear from the outset
that documents produced by the Content and Themes group
express the consensus of those who sign them and not an overall
consensus of civil society organizations attending the WSIS.

What is important to underline, however, is that the content and
themes committee is a space created by the civil society plenary
that is open to all civil society organizations that wish to
participate.  It has two roles: first, it facilitates spaces for collective
work and consensus on content, for those who wish to work
collectively on producing common positions, through the thematic
and regional caucuses and working groups, and through
documents such as this one.  However there is obviously no
obligation for civil society organizations to participate in this
collective production.  It is nonetheless the widest space existing
in the civil society process at WSIS for producing consensus
positions and should be recognized as such.

(It should be noted that if civil society were expected to come up
with a unanimously agreed consensus document for the WSIS, we
would require considerable financial and material resources to be
able to work on this adequately, as do the governments.
Everything we have done up to now has been on a voluntary basis).

Secondly, the content and themes group is the space that is
responsible for assigning time for speakers, as agreed by the
plenary in February.  To make this process transparent, we have
drawn up a proposal of criteria which has been circulated on these
lists (I will repost it for those who may not have seen it).  So far
there has been no objection to these criteria.

Reiterating Angela's point, there was clear agreement in February
that it is not the role of the bureau to intervene on either content nor
speakers.  The role of the bureau in this respect is to ensure that
we have spaces to speak.  It was also agreed that we would have a
representative of the content and themes committee at bureau
meetings, who, in accordance with the plenary decision made in
February, should have the right to speak on content related issues.

I would thank you for conveying this information to the bureau list
as well as the draft document.  (I don't have the bureau list
address).

Karen Banks is provisionally the liaison person for the content and
themes committee concerning the speakers list and is compiling
the requests for speaking slots. (Neither I nor Bill McIver are able to
go to Paris).

Sally Burch

INTERNET: sburch at alainet.org