[WSIS CS-Plenary] Spelling of GATS for the Civil Society Priorities Document: (12 July 2003) and link to the "Governance list"

Thomas Ruddy thomruddy at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 13 13:07:44 BST 2003

Colleagues,

Meryem Marzouki wrote on Saturday, July 12, 2003
>Please also note that "AGCS" is the acronym of the French name of the
>WTO agreement: it should be replaced by GATTS, the English one.

The English abbreviation for the General Agreement on Trade in Services is
written not with two, but with one T: GATS

The "Governance list" mentioned in Meryem's posting below can be subscribed
to at https://ssl.cpsr.org/mailman/listinfo/governance

I congratulate the CT Group (primarily Bill and Sally) on finishing this
doc. on time, and I applaud their expedient solution to the following urgent
needs in view of the tight time constraint. These two urgent needs, though,
still persist. Civil Society demands that WSIS participants:
1. "reexamine the current management of Internet names and numbers and other
related mechanisms", and

2. establish a multi-stakeholder observatory committee to pay "Attention to
other regional and international processes" (final section on page 5 of the
Civil Society Priorities Document: (12 July 2003)).

I think that -- especially as these needs persist -- this burning issue
makes for a suitable climax on the next-to-last page of our input document.

Regards,
Thomas

Thomas Ruddy, thomruddy at yahoo.com  http://www.wsis.ethz.ch
http://www.webster.ch/faculty/ruddy