[WSIS CS-Plenary] Civil Society Priorities Document

Hans Klein hans.klein at pubpolicy.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 15 16:51:04 BST 2003

Like others who have commented here, I have been active in the ICANN policy
process for many years.  Our efforts to realize grassroots civil society
participation in ICANN and to make a constructive contribution to its
processes was vigorously resisted by the interests controlling the
organization.  Following the infamous ICANN coup d'etat of last year, ICANN
created a very weak user organization.  Most civil society representatives
were excluded (myself included.)  In the future, as the interests
controlling ICANN become more secure, their need for even symbolic
participation by civil society interests will likely decline.  So I don't
have much confidence in that institution.

While I don't wholeheartedly endorse the ITU as a replacement for ICANN, I
do welcome the competition between these two institutions.  The most
promising scenario that I can see is Internet governance split between
ICANN and the ITU.  That is quite feasible: ICANN could make global policy
for generic domains (e.g. dot-com), and the ITU can coordinate policy for
country code domains (e.g. dot-us).  Users would have a choice between
which regime they favored.

Separation of powers is a well-established principle of governance: "...the
great security against a gradual concentration of the several powers in the
same department consists in giving to those who administer each department
the necessary constitutional means and personal motives to resist
encroachments of the others. ... Ambition must be made to counteract
ambition." (James Madison, "Federalist 51", 1790)

So back to our document: If our current language implicitly favors the ITU,
that seems appropriate.  It is in the interest of civil society to support
ITU to the point where it might join ICANN in Internet governance.

Hans Klein
Director, CPSR's Civil Society Democracy Project (CivSoc of CPSR)
See: http://www.civsoc.org