[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [WSIS-CT] Speaking Slots - CSB Role - No Civil Society Plenary

Amali De Silva amalidesilva at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 24 06:24:48 BST 2003

The Vancouver Community Network is a non-profit ISP that services over 2 million plus persons located in British Columbia, Canada. It also provides computer training, runs programs with youth, involved in CAP, hosts the websites of over 400+ non-profit organizations plus more programs. The population we serve is multicultural,  includes all age and income groups, education levels, includes marginalized groups etc ....basically everybody!

The Vancouver Community Network would like a speaking slot to showcase it's work and  share it's experiences at Prep Com 3-  - Who do I e-mail ?

Amali De Silva-Mitchell, Vice President, Vancouver Community Network, Canada

"John R. Gagain Jr." <jgagain at unadr.org> wrote:

Dear All:

Thank you Sean and others for sending these important comments in regards to Veni's initial email.

I think there are two issues on the table: 1. Functioning of the caucuses / Speaking Slots; 2. Modalities of the CS mechanisms at the WSIS (2a. CS Information Session and Debriefing & 2b. Speaking Slots.

***

1. Functioning of the caucuses / Speaking Slots

I would have to say that while I see Veni's issue as very important, I do not believe that it prompts a discussion (although always important) concerning the role of the C&T Group, CSB, etc.  It is more of an issue of the internal workings of each individual caucus group.

I was present when Veni’s situation occurred in Paris and I believe it is really an issue for the caucus.  How the caucuses function is an issue for the caucuses themselves, which they may wish to take up with the Content and Themes (CT) working group due to the fact that they deal with substance.

Basically (and Veni may wish to elaborate) the issue was that Veni asked me for some help in mediating a situation (which I thought was asked of me in my personal capacity, not as the current chairperson of the CSB), which included a Civil Society representative speaking on behalf of the Internet Governance caucus in the Plenary.  The speech in the Plenary supposedly was not going to (or did not) reflect the sentiments of the caucus.  I believe it was resolved, but still remains an issue that Veni wishes to address.

2. Concerning the modalities of the CS mechanisms at the WSIS:

   CS Information Session and Debriefing—There does not exist a forum at the WSIS referred to as "Civil Society Plenary", nor was there ever one at any other U.N. sponsored Summit in the past.  A “Plenary” signifies a fixed group of members or member states and the actual official definition is: 1. Complete in all respects, unlimited or full: a diplomat with plenary powers, 2. Fully attended by all qualified members: a plenary session of the council.  As you can see, Civil Society does not fulfill this definition or its prerequisites.  In Paris, we had three (3) mechanisms:

                                                               i.      CS Information Session and Debriefing (every morning from 9:00 – 10:30am)

                                                             ii.      CS Bureau (everyday from 14:00 – 15:30)

                                                            iii.      CS Content & Themes Group (everyday – times varied).

   Speaking Slots--I agree with Sally Burch on the issue that the Content and Themes Group (or the caucuses) should choose the persons who are to occupy the “Speaking Slots” afforded to us by the WSIS Secretariat, however, as I mention above, there is no CS Plenary; and especially not one that makes decisions on behalf of Civil Society.  This idea would never work especially due to the fact that the composition of Civil Society at the WSIS is always changing from meeting-to-meeting, session-to-session; and is never consistent.  Please see the definition of “Plenary” above.
Perhaps we can hear comments regards to these issues.  If you could be specific concerning the points and sub-points we have mentioned, it would be appreciated and would possibly allow us to focus our comments and concerns.

I hope this emails clarifies the series of emails, which have transpired since the meeting in Paris.

Sincerely,

John R. Gagain Jr. (Family of Think Tanks)