[WSIS CS-Plenary] suggestions for Civil Society Coordination at PrepCom3 (and the summit)

Amali De Silva amalidesilva at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 24 14:48:38 BST 2003

I am glad that there is a process for including those CS members new to the process, or reconnecting.

CS is only going to be as strong as the number of groups that CS can proclaim to represent - not just a couple of voices from a few sectors, regions etc. Support comes from inclusivity rather than exculsivity.

I look forward to reading and contributing to the daily updates. There is a real danger that if transparency is not a key element of the discussions that we will lose credibility.

Thank you in advance!

Amali De Silva-Mitchell, Vice President, Vancouver Community Network, Canada.

Rik Panganiban <rikp at bluewin.ch> wrote:
Ralf,

This is good strategic document that I think gets us closer to the
kind of coordinated functioning that Civil Society should aim towards.
However, in terms of what is possible to get together between now and
September, I think your overall scheme is ambitious. Let me suggest
something perhaps more achievable.

COORDINATING GROUP-->> DAILY COORDINATING MEETING
I think the functions of creating an information, coordination center
for civil society are necessary, however having a fully-equipped and
staffed room for the whole prepcom and summit is probably unlikely to
materialize.

On the weekend prior to the prepcom and the Summit, we should have
orientation sessions for those who are brand-new to the process, so we
don't waste too much time re-explaining things. Like past prepcoms,
there should be convened every morning a general civil society meeting
where reports from the previous day can be received, general
announcements made, and some discussion of important issues. In
addition, I believe we need at least every other day a session for
newcomers to ask general questions about the WSIS, an open forum with a
couple of veterans who can answer most basic questions that we don't
have time to deal with in the main plenaries.

LOBBYING GROUP->> PART OF CONTENT AND THEMES
I think a lobbying group should grow organically out of the Content and
Themes based on what immediate issues arise each day. Often the same
people in C&T are also the ones doing the most govt lobbying anyway, so
creating a new group with the same people seems redundant.

Respectfully,

Rik Panganiban
WFM

Rik Panganiban email: rikp at bluewin.ch
Special Adviser tel: +41 22 734 9774
World Federalist Movement Fax: +41 22 734 9775
www.wfm.org Mobile: +41 76 473 3274

Amali De Silva AAT(CMABC), BSc(Hons) Econ, PgDip Acc/Fin, MSc Int. Acc/Fin

Tel: 604-736-9012 & Email: amalidesilva at yahoo.com