[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [WSIS-CT] John Gagain's note: Does Civil Society Plenary not exist?

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Thu Jul 24 16:14:29 BST 2003

Hi Sean and all,

Full agreement on all points.

I am not going to repeat what I said on this issue in my previous
message today to the CT list. Let me only add that the civil society
bureau has been highly controversial since its proposal at PrepCom2.
Apparently, this situation is not improving, specially since some of
the CSB members seem to speak for themselves, without any mandate. As
far as the European/North American "family" is concerned, I can report,
as a French organization representative who was present when the
"family" was "constituted", that:
1/ There was no formal call for such a meeting, so that any interested
party would have been able to attend. As far as I'm concerned, it
happened that I was in this room before the meeting... since there was
an internet connexion available there !
2/ less than 10 persons were in the room, among them people who are
representing neither European, nor North American families, since we
were informally discussing the issue
3/ there were disagreements on the "family" constitution itself. I
personnaly raised the point regarding the absence in the room of the
many European or North American CSO who were attending prepcom2. I've
also raised the point that a European caucus was already supposed to
exist (none of its representatives were there)
4/ Some European or North American CSO are not even aware that such a
thing as the "European/North American family" exists, as some messages
on the plenary list today shows
5/ Although there were disagreement on this constitution for the reason
stated above, the two only volunteers were "appointed"
6/ Since then, I've seen neither any report nor any request for
comments or proposal on any issue raised in the CSB.
7/ If it was not thanks to Sean forwarding some important messages to
the plenary, or through CONGO sending some messages adressed by the CSD
to the CSB, I would never hear of what's being discussed - and, who
knows?, decided - in the CSB.

I don't know of other "families". But this absence of legitimacy and
representatitity, as well as this opacity, speak for themselves. The
civil society plenary, which does exist simply because we have commonly
created it following consensus and because we are using it, remains the
most legitimate instance.

Meryem Marzouki
IRIS (France) representative
Co-coordinator of the Human Rights caucus