[WSIS CS-Plenary] Current Debates

FEMNET munyua at femnet.or.ke
Tue Jul 29 16:17:56 BST 2003

We find the suggestions for regimentation in civil society input to
plenary, through the CSB, quite disturbing, especially given the
attention that went in to organizing the time slots during the recent
Paris meeting. Also disturbing is the undertone of the suggestions by
the CSB co-chair, which we interpret as an intent to restrict freedom
of expression and an introduction of censorship that is at odds with
core CS values. We strongly oppose the attempt to use disagreements
in a few caucuses as a pretext for questioning the legitimacy of the
CS plenary as a whole, and attempting to usurp the responsibility for
content-related issues and concentrating this within the CSB.

We agree that the CS plenary should clarify the guidelines for
assigning speaker slots. There are only so many slots compared to
many more issues to speak to. However, the Paris meeting also showed the
ability and willingness of speakers from one caucus/family to raise
issues of other caucuses. Furthermore, we found the practice of
monitoring plenary debate and evaluating which of civil society's
advocacy platform components are at risk each day is an important one
- as well as a good practice in terms of organising our input and
deciding on speakers.

Finally, the Chair of the Intersessional meeting has been very
complimentary in regards to the CS input in Paris, noting the
attention to time keeping and quality of content.

The CSB might best assist in resolving the issue of speaker slots by
negotiating more time for CS speakers.

In light of the above, the Africa Caucus  within the CS of WSIS would
like to express its support for 5 points outlined by Sean in his
proposed submission to the CSB. And the recommendations made by the Lac
Caucuses on the needs to translate important decision making pieces into
English, French and Spanish.

Alice Munyua
Programme Officer, Communication
African Women's Development and Communications Network (FEMNET)
Réseau de Développement et de Communications des Femmes Africaines
 P O Box 54562, Nairobi, Kenya.
Tel: +254 20 3741301/20
Fax: +254 20 3742927
E-mail: munyua at femnet.or.ke
	admin at femnet.or.ke
Website: http://www.femnet.or.ke

FEMNET aims to strengthen the role and contribution of African NGO's
focussing on women's development equality and other human rights, through
communications, networking, training and advocacy.

FEMNET vise à renforcer le rôle et la contribution des ONG des femmes
Africaines en mettant l'accent sur le développemnt, l'égalité et d'autres
droits humains de femmes par le moyen des communications, travail de réseau,
formation et plaidoyer.

---