[WSIS CS-Plenary] IMPORTANT: PrepCom IIIA Translation

karen banks karenb at gn.apc.org
Thu Nov 6 15:37:20 GMT 2003

hello everyone

As we're preparing for next week, and considering the heavy demand for
translation this past week, i thought we should agree on translation
processes for PrepCOmIIIA.

Firstly, i want to thank Adam Peake for taking on management of the plenary
list and liasing with the translation team while i've been otherwise
committed. It's not an easy job as adam now knows ;), and as the work is
largely invisible, can go unnoticed.

Second, re translation. I think we need to revisit the processes we
outlined in the translation list, and make sure that we are all aware of
them and then try our best to follow those processes. If we don't follow
the processes we outline, we find ourselves duplicating work which of
course is frustrating, time consuming and generally raises the anxiety
levels for everyone ;)

So, here's the proposal - where we need to action, i have enclosed comments
in *** asterisks **:

1) Could we make sure that everyone who is doing voluntary translation, is
subscribed to the translation at wsis-cs.org list - and it is quite possible
that some of you have asked me to do that already, and it has fallen out of
my TODO basket.

** please send me your details if you need to be added to the translation
list - please send this to karenb at apcwomen.org and NOT to this list **

2) Could we hear from people on the translation list, who are prepared to
commit some time next week to translation.

** again, let me know by email if you are available, and if you will be
able to work on-site, or remotely **

3) The process we have used to date (which is still quite embyronic) works
like this.

Criteria for translation
------------------------
- important informational messages from the CSD or the ITU
- official WSIS documents (eg the samassekou letter and non-paper)
- Content and themes group documents (for example, sally and bill's
response to the non-paper and the Content and themes non-negotiables)

I think we have to prioritise these documents over specific caucus and
working group documents, though of course if time permits, we can try to
translate such documents.

4) Content and themes co-coordinators (sally/bill or someone they
designate) should request,  when they post to plenary/CT - for translation

5) I (or someone else we agree) then passes that request to
translation at wsis-cs.org

6) If someone is prepared to translate the document, they announce so,
quickly, in the translation list so as to avoid the situation where we have
two or more people translating the same document.

7) the translated document is then posted back to translation at wsis-cs.org,
and one person (which we will decide internally in translation at wsis-cs.org)
posts to plenary/ct

***** I have cc'd this message to translation at wsis-cs.org and would ask for
volunteers to translate this message into french and spanish *****

we don't really have time to discuss this proposal in detail, so hope that
it will suffice for now - but if there are glaring errors or gaps, let me know.

karen