[WSIS CS-Plenary] Opening ceremony speaker

Fullsack Jean-Louis jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Mon Nov 10 13:15:24 GMT 2003

Hi Bertrand and all

Once more Bertrand proposes Tim Berners-Lee to the CS for beeing  its
"header". It reminds me a memorable night session of our C&T group,
discussing the final proposal for the layout and additive content to be
incorporated into the Action plan, at the end of PrepCom-2. Bertrand then
showed us (i.e. the CS night workers) the first page of the Action plan in
its "final" layout. It was headed by a quotation of and a tribute to his
"heroe". I definitely opposed this "header" in such a strategic CS document,
explaining that we the CS aren't here for promoting the Internet, but at
first committed for making efficient proposals to narrow the "digital
divide". This opinion was shared by the other CS delegates present and
finally Bertrand accepted to withdraw his proposal, not without mentioning
that we are at first committed in giving the Information Society its
substance.
I remind that episode because it is symptomatic of the orientation and goals
of a significant part of CS representatives at the WSIS, and particularly in
the C&T group, giving an excessive importance and priority to issues related
to the Internet. Of course, we ALL agree that Internet gouvernance as well
as the rights for its access and usage are important issues that have to be
tackled by the CS, but this doesn't need to worship the inventor(s),
designers or manufacturers of the Internet who took largely profit from it.
In such a logic CS soon will propose a quotation of Bill Gates as a "header"
in the Declaration of principles ! The numerous messages nominating
personnalities from this sphere -most of them without any contact to our
activity and commitment in the WSIS process- as CS speakers at the Summit
prove this regretable drift.
CS has to come back quickly to its sources and to the issues it is mandated
for by its members and not in promoting, even indirectly, neither the
Internet nor its gourous. As it has to be prudent in adopting, without
sufficient discussion and debate, some controversial gouvernements' views
(the "Solidarity Fund" or "Agenda" is one among others).
This involves some ethics to be respected inside of the CS. Very
opportunately and with solid arguments Meryem reminds us all how CS should
act as to respect democratic rules and procedures in the WSIS process,
especially in the view of preparing the Summit and in designating OUR
speaker nominees. I fully subscribe to her opinion and recommendations, even
if I still feel some "trouble" as far as CS participation at the round
tables is concerned. I feel that at least we sould be "as close as possible
to the seats" if we aren't sitting on them following a decision that only
the CS Plenary can take.
As far as speaker nominees are concerned I support the African Caucus
nominees proposal (with a preference for Aminata Traore as Opening speaker)
even if I previously suggested Philippe Quéau to be one of them. For me this
suggestion should mainly give a strong signal of CS's independence from any
kind of "official connectivity".

With my best wishes to Bertrand and all CS delegates for a good job at
PrepCom-3a that I must unfortunately follow remotely.

Jean-Louis Fullsack
CSDPTT - France