[WSIS CS-Plenary] Opening ceremony speaker

jeanette at wz-berlin.de jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Mon Nov 10 19:06:32 GMT 2003

On 10 Nov 2003 at 2:06, Bertrand de LA CHAPELLE wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi, Bertrand,

I'd like to speak against your proposal. While I share your strategic
thoughts I don't follow your conclusions.

First of all, I don't agree that information society is built around the
worldwideweb. The WWW is just one of many services running on
the Internet. Email, for example, is more popular and widespread than
WWW. It is only in the developed world with plenty of bandwidth that
people confuse the Internet with the Web.
Second, I don't see how the Web was invented by civil society.
Third, I don't see in what respect the World Wide Web Consortium is
an innovative multi-takeholder body. Unlike the Internet Engineering
Task Force, a standard developing body, which is open for everybody,
membership in the W3C is really expensive and, if I am not mistaken,
confined to the Internet industry.
In sum, I'd prefer if we picked a speaker who makes the point for
human rights in information society in a credible and charismatic way.

Best, jeanette