[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [WSIS-CT] On "Intellectual Property Rights" (IPRs)

Marc Steinlin stonelli at gmx.net
Wed Nov 12 14:45:39 GMT 2003

Dear all,

I understand very well the idea behind it and I can support your matter
(also with regard to Free Software / Open Source). Yet, it also touches
the issue of protecting traditional knowledge, especially from
indigenous peoples. And here we strongly favour the creation of a new,
sui-generis instrument to protect their knowledge (and therefore a new
instrument of whatever you call it - intellectual property right,
monopoly or whatever).

The world has stolen their land, their resources, their culture,
everything, without ever considering their opinion or needs. Thereby we
have brought them to the verge of disappearance. Now the world also
tries to steal their traditional knowledge. They have the right to fully
dispose over their own knowledge, which they have produced often over
hundreds and thousands of years. And not action may be taken without
their free prior and informed consent. Therefore their traditional
knowledge is NOT public domain, unless these peoples freely decide so.
And to achive these standards, we still have a long and stony road to go...

Please take this very fundamental aspect under consideration, too.

Regards,
-marc

Incomindios Switzerland
Marc Steinlin