[WSIS CS-Plenary] draft WSIS CS press statement for feedback

Chun Eung Hwi chun at peacenet.or.kr
Fri Nov 14 05:39:30 GMT 2003

Thank you, all who were eager to work there!

That statement is truly saying what we wanted to say.
Just my brief observation on WSIS.=20

From=20the outset, North governments regarded this occasion of WSIS as
market expansion momentum even to the South while South governments
expected to induce more foreign investment from the North for building up
their domestic ICT infrastructure. Both governments are trying to impose
on their people and society only market driven principles or
government-led top-down way of development, which are all lacking serious
concern for people or people's participation. They all have lacked
people-centered societal vision. Communicative society requires human
rights as a fundamental basis of social formation. Without human rights,
information society will necessarily become a Big brother society. And
without the spirit of solidarity, fraternity and sharing, information
society will only generate more "the wretched of the earth". To avoid
these two extreme results, in the process of forming information and
communication society, we should make people move forward and community
initiate to design information society. Civil society, agent or servant of
people's community, would channel people's aspiration to social reality. =
=20
Therefore, governments should hear people's voice and empower people so
that information society may become a real communication society and a
humane society. But what we looked at WSIS was that governments set aside
people as bystanders only for playing their own strategic simulation game,
which must finally produce a vain and sterile documents.

regards,

Chun

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Ralf Bendrath wrote:

> Hi all,
>=20
> Here we are at 2 in the morning having just finished a draft statement
> we hope to be able to read tomorrow. It is quite a different statement
> to those we=B4ve produced in the past in that it focuses more on a macro
> anlaysis of the state of play in the WSIS process, which has moved to a
> situation of near dead-lock this past week. It would be used as the
> basis of a press briefing rather than a press conference, along with our
> CS Essential Benchmarks document.=20
>=20
> Could you please send comments (substance, edits) by 0900 CET tomorrow
> morning and remember to quote only the text you need to.
>=20
> we will have some time tomorrow, after a good night=B4s sleep, to craft a
> revised version.
>=20
> All the best from the Geneva madhouse.
>=20
> Ralf
>=20
> ------------------------------------
>=20
> Civil Society Statement
> at the End of the Preparatory Process
> for the World Summit on the Information Society
> Geneva, November 14, 2003
>=20
> I. Where do we stand now?
>=20
> We have come to the last day of PrepCom 3a. This was an extra full week
> put in because governments were not able to finalize work in Prepcom 3
> in September. And this last day the situation is what it is, a deadlock
> on the very first article of the declaration. Where they are not able to
> even agree on the Universal Declaration of Human Rights adopted in 1948
> as the common foundation of this declaration.
>=20
> We observe three main problematic areas impeding progress in the WSIS:
>=20
> 1.=09The North-South divide: The rich part of the world - the part that
> has been profiting from unequal trade relations for the whole 20th
> century - is not even willing to agree on a voluntarily funded attempt
> to bridge the digital divide. This is a shame, as the summit process has
> started two years ago with exactly this goal.=20
>=20
> 2.=09The struggle over human rights. They are not able to reach a common
> agreement on the Universal Declaration of Human Rights as the basis for
> the Information Society. They are not willing to commit to basic human
> right standards, most prominent here the freedom of expression.
>=20
> 3.=09Internet governance
>=20
> II. Old world or new vision?
>=20
> The old world of governments and traditional diplomacy confronting new
> challenges and realities in the 21st century:=20
>=20
> [...]

--=20
Chun Eung Hwi
General Secretary, PeaceNet | phone:     (+82)  2-2166-2205
Seoul Yangchun P.O.Box 81   |   pcs:     (+82) 019-259-2667
Seoul, 158-600, Korea  =09    | eMail:   chun at peacenet.or.kr