[WSIS CS-Plenary] WSIS CS press statement for release

mclauglm at po.muohio.edu mclauglm at po.muohio.edu
Fri Nov 14 16:00:47 GMT 2003

Ralf and all,

Many thanks for your efforts at Prepcom 3: The Sequel (or The
Nightmare Returns). I've read over the press statement and fully
agreeing with all sentiments contained in it. Respectfully, I'd like
to offer a couple of suggestions, however:

1. In the section beginning "The struggle over human rights": It is
not clear to me what is meant by "Not even the basis of human life in
dignity and equality, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights finds
support as the basis for the Information Society." It's not clear
what entity supports the UDHR as the basis for the Information
Society.

Perhaps better: "As the basis for dignity and equality in human life,
the Universal Declaration of Human Rights should be the basis for the
Information Society. Governments are not able to agree on a
comittment to basic human right standards as the basis for the
Information Society, most prominent in this case being the freedom of
expression."

2. In the press statement, the lead is buried, as they say in the
news business. It seems to me that CS must begin its statement with
the sentiment that we have "come to the conclusion that there is no
political will to agree on a common vision," that "therefore we will
now stop giving input to the intergovernmental documents, and that
"we will not endorse documents that represent the lowest common
denominator among governments." These statements, it seems to me, are
the ones that will grab the attention of news personnel and they will
be the "quotes of the day."

Thanks,

Lisa