[WSIS CS-Plenary] Geneva based Press

Raoul Weiler raoul.weiler at skynet.be
Wed Nov 19 10:28:02 GMT 2003

Dear all,

As to the media and the Information Society, I think that there
are some misunderstandings in society today.

Radio exists about a century and TV half a century, however
both are not the initiators of what we understand today as the
emerging Information and Knowledge Society (IKS). Neither the
early computers until the mid eighties have directly contributed to
emergence of the information society.

The emergence of the 'information society' has its origin with
network technology including the 'free' protocols, and the
client/server technology. These technologies are in nature interactive
and allowing exploring information sources (surfing).  In so far
the internet and mail systems are very essential and recent in
the new information society concept. This are major differences
with radio and TV or the so called the 'classical media.'

For some purposes classical and new technologies are
complementary, especially in education purposes. Radio since
long and still is a very important player for transmission of 'educational
programs. But this summit, in my view, should deal with the
emergence of the information society made possible with the use
of new tools.

A debate on private/public is not really a topic here. When CS
states that 'all knowledge' has to be a public or common good
then all other considerations are superfluous, if not contradictory.

Cordially,

Raoul Weiler