[WSIS CS-Plenary] => MOST URGENT: CS Final Summit Speaker list <=

karen banks karenb at gn.apc.org
Wed Nov 19 18:34:55 GMT 2003

** dear translation team - if you are able to translate this very quickly,
please let me know in translation at wsis-cs.org **
============================

Dear all,

Below is the draft list of possible speakers for Plenary general debates,
as compiled by the adhoc speakers
selection committee, conmprising representatives from regional caucuses,
and some working groups.

*** PLEASE RESPOND HERE by  -- 0700 London time, Thursday, Nov 20th --
whether we have ommitted any names in error TAKING INTO ACCOUNT THE
CRITERIA AND SELECTION PROCESS OUTLINED BELOW  ***

If we do not submit a list but that time, the ITU secretariat will make the
decision for us.

The final draft list has been discussed and prioritised based on a tallying
system used which took into account the following criteria:

<<=====
Speakers should ideally be visionary people with known capacity  and wide
support from civil society caucuses.

Our priority list of issues to be addressed is:

1. CS Vision Statement - and the following issues:
2. Social justice and inclusion, financing for the south
3. Media and Community Media
4. Public Domain of Global Knowledge
5. Security and Privacy
6. Diversity
7. ICT/Internet governance.
8. Education research and literacy.
9. Gender

And of course trying to ensure balance in terms of region, gender etc.

So, the list you see here is _not_ the complete list of all nominated
speakers, but a _short list_ based on the criteria agreed, and as discussed
in the ct-speakers at wsis-cs.org list.
<<=====

We have to submit this list TOMORROW MORNING to the Secretariat.

In that message we should give an indication of priorities for general
plenary, and that for those speakers who are *not* selected for general
debates, that they may well be speakers for roundtable discussions.

We will try to negotiate with the secretariat that we have some time (maybe
only a day or so) to finalise roundtable speakers - which should be managed
by the caucusues and working groups.

Background Information on all nominated speakers can be found here:

Opening plenary:
http://mboom.draper.albany.edu/~mciver/WSIS/Summit/Speakers/Nominations-Opening.html
general debates:
http://mboom.draper.albany.edu/~mciver/WSIS/Summit/Speakers/Nominations-Debates.html
roundtables:
http://mboom.draper.albany.edu/~mciver/WSIS/Summit/Speakers/Nominations-Roundtables.html

So - to remind:

*** PLEASE RESPOND HERE by  -- 0700 London time, Thursday, Nov 20th --
whether we have ommitted any names in error TAKING INTO ACCOUNT THE
CRITERIA AND SELECTION PROCESS OUTLINED ABOVE  ***

best to all
karen
------------------------

NOTE:
Opening plenary: 1 or 2 speakers
General Debates: 12
Roundtables: 4 x 4 = 16
TOTAL = 29 or 30

List submitted below == 32 (plus 5 additional suggestions from other
caucuses/working groups as backup or alternative speakers)

Final Nominations for Civil Society Speakers for the World Summit on the
Information Society by CT Speakers Adhoc Committee
=====================================

Opening Plenary
Lynne Muthoni Wanyeki, FEMNET
Carlos Afonso, RITS, Brazil

** we have proposed to have both speak, but if either are unable, they
would of course join the general plenary debate list **

Draft list of possible speakers for General
Plenary Debates (12 slots available)

** note, this list includes others who were nominated, but not proposed,
for opening plenary
-- indicates a focus/area of expertise which could be an indication for
roundtables
+ indicates that a regional caucus has prioritised as general debate speakers

+ Professor Habib Sy, Senegal AIDS Transparency
-- Vision of the information society

+ Lishan Adam, Ethiopia
-- Public Domain of Global Knowledge

+ John Dada, Fantsuam Foundation, Nigeria
-- diversity

+ Dorothy Gordon, Ghana/USA
-- Social Justice and inclusion)

+ Natasha Primo, South Africa
-- social justice, Gender

+ Juan Carlos Gentile (Hipatia - Uruguay)
-- Public Domain of Global Knowledge / IPR / Free Software

+ Luis Germain Rodriguez (Funredes - Venezuela)
-- Diversity

+ Sally Burch, ALAI, Ecuador

+ Nestor Busso (ALER - Argentina)
-- Community Media

Steve Buckley, UK President, World Association of Community Radio
Broadcasters (AMARC), UK
-- Community Media / Media

Simon Davies, UK Privacy Internacional: Security and Privacy
-- Civil liberties, Privacy rights and security

Gbenga Sesan, Nigeria

Tracey Naughton (South Africa) (Media Caucus Co-Chair)
-- Community Media/Media

Mahfuz Anam, Bangladesh

Susanna George,  Malaysia/Philippines Isis International Manila:
-- social justice, Gender

Georg C. F. Greve, Germany
-- Public domain of global knowledge, Free Software

Rikke Frank Joergensen, Denmark Danish Human Rights Institute: CS, Denmark
-- CS Visionary Document, Human rights, privacy and security

Meryem Marzoukim, HR, IRIS, France
- Human Rights

Kicki Nordstrom, Sweden, Disability Caucus

Sean O Siochru, Ireland CRIS Campaign
-- social justice

William Drake, USA
-- global internet governance

Richard Stallman (Free Software Foundation), USA
-- Public Domain of Global Knowledge / IPR / Free Software
<====

1. Speakers who were nominated for Opening Plenary but not selected by the
nomination committee (and who would be included in our submission)

Aminata Traore, Mali, Ex Minister of Culture in Mali, today international
advocate on social issues (not available on Dec 10)

Shirin Ebadi (irani Nobel Peace laureate  (possibly available on 12th)
Renata Bloem, Switzerland, President CONGO

Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the World Wide Web and Director of the World
Wide Web Consortium (W3C)

Ms Mary Chenery-Hesse, Ghana, Vice-Chair National Development Planning
Commission.

Cheick Modibo Diarra, Mali, NASA engineer behind the pathfinder.
CEO for the African Virtual University (AVU)

Dr LAW Chi-kwong, Hong Kong, committed social worker, university professor
Univ. Hong Kong, Legislative Council member representing the social service
sector
<====

2. Additional speaker suggestions from Caucuses for roundtables

LAC
(1) Diego Levis (Universidad de San Andrés):
-- ICTs as a tool to achieve the Millenium Goals (Focus on Education)

(2) Daniel Pimienta:
-- Diversity in cyberspace

(3) María Pía Matta Cerna (AMARC- LAC):
-- Citizens Empowerment with focus on community media

Human Rights
(1) Peter Leuprect
(2) Sharon Hom
<====

**** Nelson Mandela  (I think we can agree this is not a possibility ;)
*** NOT ATTENDING ** DOROTHY OKELLO, UGANDA
*** not confirmed ** FATMA ALLO, Tanzania