[WSIS CS-Plenary] Cultural Diversity Caucus

Dupuy Stephanie dupuys at lu.unisi.ch
Thu Nov 20 14:57:37 GMT 2003

Dear Stefano,

As explained by Kazunari Fujii, any organisation, association or individual is free to join and participate in any caucus. Caucuses are spontaneous ad hoc expressions of civil society. As such they have no formalized structure beyond the international event in the context of which they occur. We, as OIDEL, participate in the Cultural diversity caucus initiated in the prospect of the WSIS together with other NGOs, groups and individuals. At caucus meetings organized during PrepCom-3 and PrepCom-3A a number of organisations could not be present. However the Caucus, by definition is open to e-mail communications. OIDEL is a Geneva-based organisation enjoying consultative status with ecosoc and for practical and geographical reasons can play a co-ordinating role along with other organisations (Alain Ambrosi, from Carrefour mondial de l’Internet citoyen, acted as co-ordinator also during former PrepComs).

I should add that Cultural diversity is by no means the property of any organisation, not only for formal reasons since the term is commonly used in international fora, but by definition: cultural diversity implies that any organisation can voice its opinion. Concerning further collaboration please feel free to join our work and we will be pleased to co-operate. I remember having made that suggestion to you when we met in September but, so far, you haven’t attended our meetings.

Best regards,

Stéphanie Dupuy

OIDEL /UEDH

OIDEL
Organisation Internationale pour le Droit à l'Éducation et la Liberté d'enseignement
32, rue de l'Athénée
1206 Genève
Tél  +4122 7892949
Fax  +4122 7892922
http://www.oidel.ch/ <http://www.oidel.ch/>

UEDH - SUHR
Université d'Été des Droits de l'Homme
32, rue de l'Athénée
1206 Genève
Tél  +4122 7892949
Fax  +4122 7892922
http: www.droitshumains.org/uni/

P.S. Please see attachment for a technical definition of caucus by Professor Peter Willetts, City University London, What is a Non-Governmental Organization?, UNESCO Encyclopedia, Paris, January 2002.

	Dear OIDEL,

	You have already been told that the Cultural Diversity Coucus (CDC) exists since several years and has been constituted and recorded  further to 1992 Rio Summit.

	The CDC is made up of several people and organizations and is managed and coordinated by COBASE. It  has participated to the works of  CBD, UNFCCC, UE, CCD, UNCHR, WSSD, WCAR etc. and organized numerous conferences and interventions with the participation of governments and international organizations.

	All meeting of the CDC has been always organized by COBASE and its components, mainly inside the framework of the WSIS.

	The CDC promotes the creation of a legal instrument for the protection of the cultural diversity.

	The CDC rejects  every form of racism, anti-semitism, inculturalization, transculturalization and evangelization.

	One of the main CDC  reference point is the document “Resolution of Rome. Guidelines for the the Protection of Cultural Diversity” that is an open working document.

	The CDC develops the projects Diversity as Resource, Diversity and Peace and Poverty Information.

	If your Organization wishes to join to the CDC must adopt the document “Resolution of Rome” and  declare to inspire itself to the principles aforementioned.

	In case you are not willing to join to the CULTURAL DIVERSITY CAUCUS we invite you  to avoid the use  of expressions or titles that create confusion and  could disturb our work.

	We are looking forward your earliest reply.

	Best regards

	Stefano Mannacio

	 CDC COBASE