[WSIS CS-Plenary] Invitation to discussion on the effects of infosoc on youth employment and education

Atanu Garai atanugarai_cu at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 15:38:29 GMT 2003

 Dear All,

We are glad to invite you to the Youth for Education and Employment discussion forum being run by the OneWorld South Asia's LearningChannel.Org at http://www.dgroups.org/groups/education

  You are welcome to join in this global forum comprising members from over 140 countries and representing youth, members from government and non government organizations, civil society members, participants from chambers of commerce and so on debating and discussing on the questions like: Is education sensitive to the needs and aspirations of the youth? Is it geared towards preparing them for livelihoods and for becoming responsible citizens of society? What are the challenges and how best can these be overcome?

This forum is being run in association with the Hyderabad YES Regional  Forum, Hyderabad, India, 14-18 December 2003  (http://www.yesweb.org/hyderabad/index.html) as part of the global Youth  Employment Summit or YES Campaign (http://www.yesweb.org) - launched by 1600 delegates from 120 countries at the Alexandria Youth Employment Summit,  in Egypt on September 11, 2002. With only a few weeks to go the YES Hyderabad open session where the education, youth and employment mailing list output will be taken up for discussion; we once again return to the underlying theme of our discussion over past 5 months; that of youth unemployment. There is still a lot more to discuss and you are welcome to send in your views to this discussion forum; where they still can be incorporated to the discussion agenda at the YES Hyderabad Forum.

The Open Session shall focus among other issues on being discussed currently on the effect of ICT on education and employment for the youth. While continuing on the current discussion on "Education & ICT Policy", let us focus on specific areas of this broad theme. The focus shall be obviously related to the main discussion agenda of the forum, but the specific focus is aimed towards achieving concrete exchange of opinions among members. As you know, the resulting discussion out of this process shall be presented in

the upcoming YES Regional Forum,Hyderabad,14-18 December 2003.

In the next few weeks, we are going to deliberate over few specific themes on "Education & ICT Policy" and the resulting outcome shall be presented in the Open Session.

The theme of the First Week (November 20-25,2003)

Effects of information society:

Are ICTs detrimental to youth employment - myth and reality? Is the present education system compatible to the coming information society, especially in developing countries? What should be done for the renewal of education system?

The coming of information age is a reality. Information and communication technologies are pervading all aspects of life. In one way, it provides unique opportunity in enhancing the quality of life, building of democratic and open societies, and unearthing new ways of communicating. Information and knowledge has been valued as the key resource to be exploited for the betterment of lives today for individuals and societies. While ICTs are the building block of the many societies, especially in developed countries, many accuse that they pose serious threat to employment. There are cases where this holds truth. At the same time, ICTs are providing employment to a large number of youth population in many societies as well. So what is the actual situation? What are the opportunities for youth employment with ICTs? What are the drawbacks for the gainful youth employment with the emergence of information society?

As we go on finding and answering these basic questions, we hope something positive may come up.Your participation and contribution to the discussion is very vital to    its success and it is more important as the resulting process shall be presented at the Open Session.  We will love to see you at the discussion forum and in the Open Session as well.
Thank you,
Atanu

Joining Instructions:

This list is a project of OneWorld's LearningChannel.org (www.learningchannel.org).