[WSIS CS-Plenary] Passes - The latest scandal

richard t jordan richardjordan at lycos.com
Tue Nov 25 23:48:14 GMT 2003

--Hi, Richard Jordan here -- summits and tickets are very funny occurrences. In Johannesburg, there were real problems. At Small Island States in 1994 in Barbados, there were only 50 tickets for ALL NGOs in the plenary, and there was a system whereby when you exited you gave the ticket to the security officer and then that ticket was given to the next person in line.

All summits are different. My own experience in the UN, avoid the opening session, that is the most jammed. After that, most times, everyone gets in.

The World Summit on Trade Efficiency in columbus Ohio was a prime example. HUNDREDS of extra police were brought in.

After one day, when they realized that there were only 2 NGOs present, Bill Stibravy of Intl. Chamber of Commerce and myself, the massive overtime became budget-expendable!

There were no masses teaming to get in. Remember too that this is Switzerland, and that the Swiss are very precise and that there is a RULE FOR EVERYTHING. A friend once saw me drinking water from a juice glass and said "Wouldn't you rather use a water glass?"

If possible, do your best to relax. I have worked with the 13th Police Precinct Community Council for 20 years here in NYC and probably am one of the few NGOs who understand that with security, rules can change and usually do every 10 minutes.

So, be prepared for on-the-spot shift of whatever you thought the rules were and know that it's going to be for 3 days and that we will have to be as flexible as possible.

If this were Barbados and the SIDS conference, I would sit back, take in a breeze and enjoy some local beverrage.

Swiss wine in a wine glass. And Thomas Ruddy, no picnicking!

Best regards, Richard Jordan