[WSIS CS-Plenary] >>>Vision section of CS Declaration - draft<<<

Sally Burch - ALAI sburch at alainet.org
Fri Nov 28 02:58:57 GMT 2003

All,

Here is a draft of the vision section for the civil society declaration.
Please send any comments by early Sunday to the CT list
(ct at wsis-cs.org), under this same message subject.

Other sections will follow shortly.

Sally Burch

_________________________
1. A VISIONARY SOCIETY

Our vision of information and communication societies is based on
human rights, social justice and sustainable human development.

We are committed to building people-centred, inclusive and
equitable information and communication societies, where
everyone can freely create, access, utilize, share and disseminate
information and knowledge, thus empowering individuals,
communities and peoples to improve their quality of life and
achieve their full potential.

The developments that shape such societies should be based on
principles of social, political and economic justice, and
peoples' participation and empowerment. They must pursue the
objectives of sustainable development, democracy, and gender
equality, for the attainment of a more peaceful, just and
egalitarian world, premised on the principles enshrined in the
Charter of the United Nations and in the Universal Declaration  of
Human Rights.

We reaffirm that communication is a fundamental social process, a
basic human need and the foundation of all social organization.
Everyone everywhere should have the opportunity to participate in
and benefit from communication processes.  Communication
rights, including freedom of opinion and expression, and the right to
seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media
and regardless of frontiers, to access public information and  the
public domain of knowledge, and to employ ICTs for producing
information and  communicating, must be actively guaranteed for
all.

We support the development of societies where human knowledge,
creativity,  cooperation and solidarity are considered  core
elements; societies where not only individual creativity,  but
also collective innovation, based on  cooperative work are
promoted. Societies where knowledge,  information and
communication resources are recognized and  protected as the
common heritage of humankind; societies that  foster cultural and
linguistic diversity and intercultural  dialogue, in environments
that are free from discrimination, violence and hatred.

Building people-centred and inclusive information and
communication societies implies involving individuals in  their
capacity as citizens, their organizations and communities,  as
participants and decision makers in shaping frameworks,  policies
and governing mechanisms.  This means creating an  enabling
environment for the engagement and commitment of  all
generations, both women and men, and ensuring the  involvement
of diverse social and linguistic groups,  cultures and peoples,
without exclusion.

We aspire to build information and communication societies where
development is focused on fundamental human needs and shared
social, cultural, economic, and environmental goals; where
priority is given to a more equitable distribution of resources,
leading to the elimination of poverty and other gross
inequalities, in a way that is environmentally sustainable.  We
are convinced that with the political will to mobilize the wealth
of human knowledge towards this end, humanity could not only
achieve the goals of the Millennium Declaration, but far surpass
them.