[WSIS CS-Plenary] press statement (again) - CS critique - what next?

arne arne at my-mail.ch
Thu Oct 2 12:57:01 BST 2003

Hi all!

The second week of PrepCom3 was one of increasing discontent within
civil society of WSIS processes, and there was an increasing mood
that something would have to change drastically, or otherwise civil
society participation would not make sense anymore, however without
clearly identifying criteria and strategies for that, or a "Plan B".
This became apparent at the press conference on the last day and in
the documents created on that day. On the one hand, we made our
frustration and our fundamental disagreement public, on the other
hand we said we're happy about the progress made. Some journalists
and list participants were confused about our seemingly contradictory
statements.

I think we should discuss on that issue a little further.
Particularly, we should try to clarify 3 points:
1. What exactly is our view of the summit process? What are we happy
with and what is the source of our frustration?
2. When exactly will we reach a point at which we do what we said at
the press conference - to not give further legitimacy to the WSIS?
3. And what will be our strategy once that point is reached?

Some thoughts on these points...
1. One of the reasons why we came across a little vague and unclear
on the last day is that we mixed up participation and content issues.
I would argue that we should separate these issues very clearly. As
for participation, we are still miles away from a true
multi-stakeholder process that would deserve its name, but certainly
a lot of progress has been made since the beginning (and also
compared to other summit processes), and that's certainly a positive
development which should be recognised as such. On the content side,
however, we have seen that the documents increasingly ignore civil
society positions and that those few points which had been introduced
temporarily have been kicked out again. So our criticism should focus
on WSIS content, and that's the level on which we should define
whether we continue involvement in the process or whether we should
change tactics.

2. In our response to the draft declaration, we have agreed on basic
principles, which were emphasised as "non-negotiables" by the
content&themes group, and which were complemented by remarks on this
list (for example, see Adam's mail). Amongst the points mentioned
were: a people-centered approach, special attention on the poor and
marginalised, emphasis on diversity, full quotation of Art. 19 and
other rights, focus on public participation, concrete
actions/mechanisms for development, rejection of "information
security", gender focus, community media, education, labour rights,
communication rights (or at least recognition of communication), free
software, review (or at least balance) of IPR, CS participation in
internet governance. How do we define exactly when the borderline
regarding these "non-negotiables" is crossed, i.e. when exactly do we
reach the point at which we put into practice our announcement to "no
longer give legitimacy" to the documents?

3. There are many possible actions which could follow in case our
requirements are not met. Which do people think would be appropriate
and possible to reach consensus on?
- present the CS declaration as alternative declaration?
- announce publicly that the multi-stakeholder process has failed?
- use our speaking slots at the government plenary to convey only
this message, or refuse to take part altogether?
- link up with side-events and alternative events around the summit
and focus on them?
- ...

All these points have been discussed extensively at the PrepCom, but
they still lack some clarity. If we announce that there are limits to
our consent, then we have to be clear about those limits and have to
have a possible "Plan B".

Sorry for this lengthy mail...
Regards,
Arne