[WSIS CS-Plenary] North American caucus

Amali De Silva amalidesilva at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 3 20:50:20 BST 2003

plenary at wsis-cs.orgDear Plenary,Re: NA CaucusFrom the NA/EU "caucus" discussions that have been taking place on-line there are a couple of important issues that stand out above all and they need to be addressed.1 ) "transparency" 2 ) "inclusivity" CS is always commenting on these issues vis-a-vis governments / UN processes! There are many organizations in this virtual plenary that due to cost issues are unable to attend the prep coms physically and rely on the lists to keep themselves informed. Just because these CS groups are not advantage enough to be able to attend on-site doesn’t mean that they are:1) not interested in issues (there may be a lack of "sophistication" vis-a-vis conference procedure, however, I do not believe that there is a lack of passions of belief!)2) have nothing to share ( the grass roots organizations are the ones that are closely connected to the needs of the population it represents)3) donot want to be consulted or informed The world dynamic is
 ever-changing and evolving. Information society is a live "organism". It is important that those who represent are a true reflection of the "organism" that they have chosen to represent. If the representative is not in contact with those they are representing, there is an opportunity that the views that they represent are out of date and lack unity.We in the regions want to know what is going on so that we can make our own organization’s strategic decisions and policies effectively and efficiently. We want to deliver exceptional service to those whom we represent. We want to voice our concerns and share our ideas so that we can contribute towards making a truly "informed" information society. We are fortunate to have CS members who are financially advantaged to attend the meetings on-site. We are also grateful to those who have taken up the challenge of representing us. I have to say that there were many causes at PC 3 that did an excellent job of keeping those of us ‘far a
 way"
 well informed. I take this opportunity to thank them and praise them for their efforts.I look forward to being informed via the plenary list of the representative for NA and the associated e-mail list moderated by that caucus, which we can subscribe to. - That is all !Thank you for your consideration,Amali De Silva-Mitchell, Vice President, Vancouver Community Network, Canada

Amali De Silva-Mitchell

Tel: 604-736-9012 & Email: amalidesilva at yahoo.com