[WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: polimedia Lab

arne arne at my-mail.ch
Sat Oct 11 11:20:02 BST 2003

Polimedia Lab is part of a series of alternative events around the
WSIS under the name "WSIS? We Seize!". WSIS? We Seize! is a platform
for interventions in, outside of, counter to, and as an alternative
to the agendas and organisation of the WSIS.

According to the latest plans and ideas, it comprises the following:
- Polimedia Lab (during the whole week of the summit) as a space for
experiment, development, creativeness, skill- and knowledge-sharing
- MakeWorlds conference (on the weekend before the summit) on issues
such as intellectual property rights, freedom of communication,
informationalised labour
- three-day web-tv netcast, streaming independent media activism and
community media projects, linking up Geneva with other regions across
the globe.

Check the site http://www.geneva03.org/ and the call
http://www.geneva03.org/display/item_fresh.php?id=1&lang=en (also
available in other languages).

WSIS? WeSeize! will take place outside Palexpo, in the Geneva city
centre, and is organised distinctly and explicitly outside the WSIS
framework. Of all the side-events that are planned, it is probably
the one that would come closest to some kind of "counter-summit".
However, while fundamentally criticising both the WSIS agenda and its
organisational approach, the event does not limit itself to plain
opposition. Rather it focuses on highlighting alternatives to the
restrictive conception of information society within the WSIS, and it
seeks to interact with the WSIS and certain (civil society) actors
involved on a variety of levels.

One of the possible ways to make connections would be to just propose
a talk, a presentation, a workshop, etc. through the open publishing
mechanism on the Polimedia Lab website www.hubproject.org. The
"outside" events could be used not just to connect with activists but
also with some of the wider public, as WSIS? We Seize! may be the
only WSIS-related space with completely unrestricted access for the
public. As for common strategies, yes, it would be great if
activities "inside" and "outside" could complement each other and
make each other more effective.

All best,
arne