[WSIS CS-Plenary] RV: Fellowships criteria

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Oct 15 17:02:34 BST 2003

>Veni, the problem is no only that argentina is not a LDC, it's not
>considered a Country in development.  Brasil, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay, and
>all the other in our region are included. Just Argentina and Mexico are
>excluded (But Mexico is OCDE, so that could be the explanation), there's no
>explanation for Argentine's situation.

Beatriz,

I think it would help if there were some reasonable independent
measure of what is a transitional economy or a country in
development. All I can think of is the UNDP Human Development
Indicators.  And they may not take Argentina's recent economic
problems into account, but the economy crashed at the end of 2001 (?)

Anyway, I think they answer the question from the Singaporean student.

See:
<http://www.undp.org/hdr2003/indicator/index_indicators.html>
<http://www.undp.org/hdr2003/indicator/indic_7_2_2.html>
<http://www.undp.org/hdr2003/indicator/indic_4_2_2.html>

Doesn't very help much as it's what the donor uses as a measure that counts.

Thanks,

Adam