[WSIS CS-Plenary] RT Speakers

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 18 22:52:50 BST 2003

Dear Colleagues,

Regarding the organization of the roundtables, this the information
from the document "Proposed Format for the Summit" (UN Doc Symbol:
WSIS/PC-3/DOC/8(Rev.2)).  Note that this note anticipates there being
FOUR roundtables, one of a more general nature, and 3 on more specific
topics to be determined by the Secretariat.

- Rik Panganiban
   WFM

1. Round tables will be organized to provide Heads of State or
Government –or in their absence, Heads of Delegation--the opportunity
to share their vision of the Information Society along with leaders
from intergovernmental organizations, civil society (including NGOs)
and business sector entities (including ITU sector members).

2 Each round table will run for two hours. The number and the schedule
of the round tables will be determined by the Secretary-General of the
Summit. The maximum number of round tables will be four.

3. The round tables will be organized around one overarching theme: “An
Information Society for All: Opportunities and Challenges”. Three of
the round tables will cover a cluster of related topics and the fourth
round table will be more generic in nature.

4. To allow enhanced interactivity among participants, each round table
will comprise up to 30 participants: 15 Heads of State or Government
and 15 leaders from intergovernmental organizations, civil society
(including NGOs) and business sector entities (including ITU sector
members).  If the number of participating Heads of State or Government
in a round table is less than 15, Heads of Delegation  will be invited
by the Secretary-General of the Summit to  participate.

5. The round tables will be chaired by Heads of State or Government,
who will be invited by the President of the Summit. The Chairmen of the
round tables will come from the African Group, the Asian Group, the
Eastern European Group and the Latin American Group.

6. Each round table will be moderated by an eminent personality who
will assist participants with keeping discussions on track and
interactive. Moderators will be nominated by the Secretary-General of
the Summit, in consultation with participating States.

7. Each Head of State or Government—or in their absence Head of
Delegation--participating in a round table may be accompanied by two
advisers. Other participants may be accompanied by one advisor each.

8. The proceedings of the round tables will be broadcast to an overflow
room that will be open to the media.  They will also be broadcast
through the Internet and television.

9. States will be invited by the Executive Secretariat to register
their Heads of State or Government to participate in one of the round
tables by 15 November.  Heads of Delegation interested in participating
in the round tables will be invited by the Executive Secretariat to
inform the Secretariat by the end of November.

10. Palestine, in its capacity as observer, may participate in one of
the round tables.

11. Intergovernmental organizations that are members of the High Level
Summit Organizing Committee (HLSOC) will also be invited by the
Executive Secretariat to register their Executive Heads to participate
in one of the round tables by 15 November.  The final decision rests
with the Secretary-General of the Summit.

12 Participants from civil society (including NGOs) and from business
sector entities (including ITU sector members) will be identified
through their self-organizing mechanisms, in coordination with the
Secretary-General of the Summit.

13. The reports of the round tables will be annexed to the final report
of the Summit in accordance with  past UN Summit practice.

14. The following documents will be provided by the Executive
Secretariat to participants following their registration.
(a)Guidelines for participants : This document will provide
participants with information on the conduct and time management of the
round tables.
(b)Round table topics : The theme which has been identified for the
round tables is broad and comprehensive. The Executive Secretariat will
therefore describe, in this document, the scope of topics encompassed
within the theme.