[WSIS CS-Plenary] Text version of compilation

Sally Burch - ALAI sburch at alainet.org
Thu Oct 30 17:28:14 GMT 2003

Comments on the Draft non-paper of the President of the WSIS
Prepcom on the declaration of principles

Building the Information Society: A global challenge in the new
Millennium
(version of October 24 2003)

Produced by: the Civil Society Working Group on Content and
Themes (drafting group)
October 30, 2003

Note: The present document is a compilation of proposals received
from
civil society caucuses on the non-paper presented by Mr
Samassekou on
October 24.  While it reflects the consensus reached among a
broad range
of civil society organizations on many issues during the WSIS
preparatory process, given the short time-line it does not include all
the comments civil society may wish to make on the document.

Paragraph 1
We request a reference to the principle of "non-discrimination" in
Sections A. We suggest it be included in paragraphs 1 or 2.

Justification: It is crucial that the principle of non-discrimination be
affirmed to stress that all (women, young people, people with
disabilities, elderly people, minorities etc.) should have equal rights
in the information society.

Paragraph 3
We support the reference to the Right to Development.

Paragraph 4
We strongly support the reference to Article 19 of the Universal
Declaration of Human Rights.
We suggest that article 19 be quoted in full length: "Everyone has
the
right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes
freedom
to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and
impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless of
frontiers."

Paragraph 5
We request removal of the second sentence "and our shared
values as well
as religious, family, cultural, social, and linguistic interests and
ethical principles protected".

Justification: The concept of shared values, interest and ethical
principles is too broad and vague, and opens for possible misuse
for
instance in terms of censorship.

Paragraph 20
Insert "community centres, libraries" after "schools".

Justification: specific attention and support should be given to
community-based initiatives.

Paragraph 21
We strongly support the affirmation that: "the ability for all to
access
and contribute information, ideas and knowledge is essential in an
inclusive information society."

We propose to add:  "We recognize that sharing of traditional
knowledge
of Indigenous Peoples is guided by their own culturally defined
procedures.

Paragraph 22
Replace the words "removing barriers to equitable" by the words
"promoting open access".  Replace the words "facilitating access
public domain information" by the words "promoting equitable
access to
information for   commercial, economical, industrial and financial
activities"

Justification:  The word "open access" refers to the free access to
information that has been created  by authors that do not seek
financial
compensation. The best example is scientific authors.  This
information
should be freely available and not be resold by publishers at a very
high  price, therefore creating yet another digital divide. As a
conclusion the word "open access" refers to non-commercial and
public
domain information.

The word "equitable access" refers to the "equitable trade"
("commerce
equitable" in French)  movement that promotes a fair financial
compensation between economical actors with unequal bargaining
power.
Therefore the word "equitable" seems correct, but  as long as it
used
within a trade context. This word is fitted for commercial
transactions
related to commercial information. It should not be used to replace
"Open  Access" because it would imply that scientific information,
public domain information and any other information  that is created
for
free, should be subjected to trade rules.

Paragraph 23
We request replacement of the words "free and equitable access"
in the
last sentence by "open access".

Justification: see note on paragraph 22.

We request replacement of "and other community-based access
points" with
"and other community-based information centres".

Justification: in this section the issue is about information
resources,
not Internet access.  (In contrast with paragraph 20 which relates
infrastructure).

Paragraph 24
The new version of §24 deviates far from the consensus about
different
"software models" found at PrepComIII. Most notably, it fails to
recognize the role of Free Software as a fundamental  building
block of
all areas of the information society.

Paragraph 25
The question of how to encourage the building of the rich public
domain
should be strongly addressed.
We propose to add following sentence:

"Any research, especially those funded by public bodies, should
enrich
the public domain. This must be ensured by the promotion of
efficient
models for self-publication, open content contributions and other
altenative models for the production, publication and sharing of
scientific knowledge and the use of non-proprietary formats".

We propose to add the word "free" before "sharing of research
results"
and to replace the words: "universal access with equal oportunities
for
all to scientific knowledge and the creation and dissemination
"
with
the words: "open access to scientific knowledge and promoting the
creation, with equal opportunities for all
".

Justification: see note on paragraph 22.

Paragraph 27
We request to add "and Indigenous peoples" after "vulnerable
groups".

Paragraph 32
We request removal of the term "information security" and to use
only
"network security".

Justification: Information security implies regulation of content and
can be used to legitimize censorship and surveillance measures.

Paragraph 33
We strongly suggest deletion of paragraph 33. However, if the
paragraph
is kept, we demand that the phrase "consistent with the need to
preserve
the free flow of information" stays in the sentence. The competing
proposal "in accordance with the legal system of each country" is
unacceptable. We also request deletion of the bracketed language
"[in
both civil and military fields]".

Justification: The privacy and security discussions have - since the
Paris Intersessional - shifted from a focus on the need for
infrastructure integrity to a highly politicized agenda, characterized
by language referring to the integrity of the military field and the use
of information resources for criminal and terrorist purposes.
Definitions of criminal and terrorist purposes in existing and
emerging
policies and legislation are ambiguous and prevent the use of
information resources for legitimate purposes. They threaten rights
such
as the right to privacy, freedom of association, freedom of
movement and
freedom of expression.

Paragraph 36
We request that it be stressed that the rule of law should comply
with
human right standards.

Paragraph 38
We strongly recommend the deletion of this paragraph because it
is
confusing and contradicts the concepts expressed in  paras 21-25.

Justification:  This paragraph is legally and historically based on
incorrect and contradictory premises.  'Intellectual property rights'
(as distinct from its component of copyright, patents, trademarks
etc.)
is a relatively recent, industry-driven, concept that attempts to
assert
that the rights to the use of intellectual products is limited to those
granted a temporary monopoly by the state.  It suggests others
have no
rights.  In fact, this is precisely the opposite of what is intended
with these concepts.  The right that all people can use intellectual
products in enshrined in the idea of the Public Domain, a legally
ancient one and an integral part of all Treaties etc.  There are
exceptions made to this right, however, the goal of which is to
ensure
that (while maximum access is maintained for all) mechanisms are
also in
place to ensure that overall social creativity is also optimised.
These
exceptions grant a monopoly of use for a period, as a means by
which
creative effort can be rewarded.  It therefore makes no sense to talk
of
a balance between "intellectual property, on the one hand, and its
use,
and knowledge sharing, on the other".

The existing paragraph confuses "the protection of intellectual
property" with the "granting of temporary monopoly right over the
use of
intellectual products", resulting in the erroneous suggestion that
only
such temporary 'owners' have any rights at all.

An alternative would be to replace para 38 as follows and insert it in
Section 3 "Access to information" :

"Human knowledge is the heritage and property of all humankind
and the
reservoir from which new knowledge is created. The primary goal of
patents, copyright and trademarks, and other legal and technical
monopolies on knowledge granted by society, must be to ensure
maximum
use of this knowledge and to encourage creativity as widely as
possible
within  society. International agreements and treaties, and national
policies concerning creation, sharing and trade of intellectual goods
and cultural creations should be aligned according to this principle."

Paragraph 40
We request the inclusion of the words "freely implementable,
publicly
documented" after the word "non-discriminatory".

Justification: Although §40 recognizes the significance of open
standards as "essential building blocks of the Information Society,"
it
ignores the past 10 years of standardization experience. No
standard
will ever be open or interoperable unless it is freely implementable
and
publicly documented.

Paragraph 41
We consider it essential to delete, in paragraph 41, the words "of
legality, with full observance of national laws and regulation as well
as".

Justification: We oppose any statement through which the UN
system
endorses national laws and regulation given the fact that national
laws
and regulation have, on numerous occasions, been found to
contravene
Article 19 of the UDHR.

We request to add the following sentence at the end: "It should be
ensured that vulnerable groups and Indigenous Peoples have
access to
radio and TV frequencies."

Paragraph 46
We recommend the deletion of this paragraph.

Justification: National policy issues have to comply with
international
human right standards and other international agreements.

Paragraph 47
We consider it unacceptable that none of the options mentions the
involvement of Civil Society.
Of the five available options, we would prefer a).

Paragraph 52
We request that the following bracketed texts be deleted:
[in accordance with the legal system of each country and]
[particularly on Articles 19 and 29]
[Individuals and media should have access to available information]

Justification: First sentence opens for national legislation that is
not
in compliance with human right standards. Second sentence
should only
refer to article 19, which regulates press freedom, or not point to
specific articles at all.  Third sentence is without meaning, since it
only addresses access to "available" information.

The Declaration requires a much clearer statement on the media,
based on
respect for the provisions of Article 19 of the UDHR and recognising
the
importance of a diverse and pluralist media environment including
public
service broadcasting and community media. We insist this include
the
statement "Public service broadcasting and community media have
crucial role to play in ensuring participation of all in the Information
Society"

At the least the following text should be included after the words
"Traditional media": "including public service broadcasting and
community media" instead of "in all its forms".

Paragraph 54
We suggest deletion of this paragraph, or at least of the sentence
"The
widest possible protection should be accorded to the family".

Justification: It is to broad and imprecise when speaking of ethics
and
the family. It could be misused to legitimize censorship on content.

We propose the inclusion in this or a new paragraph on ethics, of
the
phrase: "We recognize and respect special ethical obligations that
Indigenous Peoples might have towards the sharing and utilization
of
their knowledge and cultural heritage."