[WSIS CS-Plenary] General WSIS Prepcom Progress Report

Rik Panganiban rikp at bluewin.ch
Thu Sep 18 07:28:24 BST 2003

Dear Friends,

Update on this report:

Governments took the decision yesterday at the close of the afternoon
plenary to officially restrict observer access to the ad hoc working
groups, as many of us feared.

Our participation is as follows: at the beginning of every working
group session, NGOs are invited to make presentations to the
governments for some minutes.  Afterwards, they are asked to leave so
that governments can negotiate and draft alone.  At the end of the
meeting, NGOs are to be invited back into the meeting room to be
briefed by the chair on what was decided, and where possible provided
with paper copies of new text.

This was a unanimous decision of the plenary.

SIDE NOTE: Some NGOs have noted that in the working groups they have
attended, when they were invited to make presentations, most
governments were not even in the room.  So the usefulness of this
modality of "participation" is somewhat questionable.  This is an
unfortunate decision since there were several questions in the Content
and Themes Sub-commission yesterday on terminology and language that
came from civil society that could easily be explained in the working
groups if we were allowed to participate more openly.

- Rik Panganiban
   WFM / WSIS Civil Society News Centre

email: 	rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org