[WSIS CS-Plenary] a view on the denial of accreditation of Rapporteurs Sans Frontieres

Rik Panganiban rikp at bluewin.ch
Thu Sep 18 11:21:22 BST 2003

Dear Friends,

Speaking in my personal capacity, I would like to express a view on the
denial of accreditation to the WSIS of the media-rights group
Rapporteurs Sans Frontieres (Reporters Without Borders).  For those who
do not know, during the high-level segment of the last session of the
Commission on Human Rights, held in March 2003, RSF disrupted one of
the meetings by throwing flyers into the assembly hall, denouncing the
election as chair of the CHR a representative of the government of
Libya. This was a planned act of civil disobedience, which resulted in
their expulsion from the hall of those RSF representatives, and
subsequently the suspension of their accreditation to ECOSOC for one
year.

My understanding is that if an organization with ECOSOC consultative
status has their accreditation suspended or revoked, they are not
allowed to participate in other UN-sponsored fora.  Thus, on a
legalistic level, the WSIS secretariat was within their rights to not
allow this organization's representatives to be accredited to
participate in the WSIS.

Civil society organizations should know some of the immediate results
of RSF's actions.  While many human rights groups at the Commission on
Human Rights were certainly in sympathy and agreement with the message
RSF was communicating, several disagreed vociferously with their
methods.  One direct effect of the RSF action was that every NGO was
subject to extreme searches for the rest of the CHR, and prevented from
carrying into meeting rooms of more than a handful of documents for
fear that each group would stage another similar demonstration.

This was the first year that the Commission on Human Rights has ever
held a high-level segment.  One important goal of the high-level
segment was to bring more political weight and financial support for
the work of the CHR, which in recent years has suffered from severe
budget cuts effecting the basic functioning of the meeting, including
meeting times, translations, meeting rooms, etc.  By disrupting the
high-level segment, it will certainly be taken into consideration when
the Commission decides whether to hold it again in subsequent years.

I am not opposed to civil disobedience, which has its place when other
means of protest and negotiation have been exhausted.  But civil
society organizations need to be clear about where they stand on
whether or not we choose to respect the rules of participation.   RSF
chose to do their action, I believe in full understanding of the
immediate and longer-term effect of that action. However I think we
need to be clear that NGOs in general have the responsibility to
participate in a constructive and fair manner, in the same way that we
expect governments to respect the rules of procedure.  If an NGO
chooses to not follow those rules of procedure, there are consequences.

As we fight for our rights to participate effectively in the WSIS
process, we need to be clear that we do not intend to simply shout at
government representatives, to shower them with flyers, but that we
want to engage constructively and respectfully in the negotiations.

Rik Panganiban
(in my personal capacity)