[WSIS CS-Plenary] Fifth Unofficial personal report of the ad-hoc working group of Internet Governance, PrepCom III, WSIS

Chun Eung Hwi chun at peacenet.or.kr
Thu Sep 18 17:07:51 BST 2003

Here, I attach the outcome of the ad-hoc working group of Internet
Governance.

Bracket part has not yet reached to an agreement.

I was told that the key conflicting part was number 4. a) was proposed by
the U.S. b) was proposed by Brazil and China. And some countries made
comments to delete the phrase of "under the UN framework", so the
remaining phrase is c).  Canada proposed e) and EU and some other
countries amended that proposal by deleting the phrase of "mutually
agreed".

I am sorry. This explanation was not given by official briefing.
Still, I have not heard any notification from that working group.
I should have tried to collect information what has been done behind the
curtain. In this case, Internet or some ICTs are not helpful at all.

Could you solve this puzzle? What could be final consensus? In my view,
the final consensus, if it could be, would be reached to coming December
Summit. Quite frankly, I could not guess the possible compromise of these
conflicting views. Anyhow, I am thinking the riddle of power balance and
reason/understanding. My internal question is if we are going towards
information and communication society or is it really progress of human
beings?

1.	The international management of the Internet should be
multilateral, transparent and democratic, with the full involvement of
governments, the private sector, civil society and international
organizations. It should ensure an equitable distribution of resources,
facilitate access for all and ensure a stable and secure functioning of
the Internet.
2.	The management of the Internet encompasses both technical and
policy issues. The private sector has had and will continue to have an
important role in the development of the Internet [at the technical
level].
3.	[Policy authority for Internet-related public policy issues should
be
	the sovereign right of countries.]
4.	Internet issues of an international nature related to public
policies should be coordinated
	a)	[between governments and other interested parties.]
	b)	[through/by appropriate intergovernmental organizations
under the
		 UN framework.]
	c)	[as appropriate on an intergovernmental basis.]
	d)	[through/by appropriate international organizations.]
	e)	[through appropriate and mutually agreed international
organizations.]
5.	Facilitating the multilingual domain name registration

Chun Eung Hwi
General Secretary, PeaceNet | phone:     (+82)  2-2166-2205
Seoul Yangchun P.O.Box 81   |   pcs:     (+82) 019-259-2667
Seoul, 158-600, Korea  	    | eMail:   chun at peacenet.or.kr