[WSIS CS-Plenary] a view on the denial of accreditation of Rapporteurs Sans Frontieres

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Thu Sep 18 18:19:28 BST 2003

Hi Rik and all,

As I told you already, and as I said in the CS plenary this morning, I
completely agree with you on this, and I'm sure all members of the
human rights caucus share with me this very simple and clear position:
when one organization enters a system, it should respect its rules, and
it is clear for all of us that RSF hasn't respected the rules.

But the statement proposed by the media and the human rights caucuses
is not saying that RSF should be allowed to participate into WSIS as an
organization with ECOSOC status. it only says, about the administrative
decision made by the executive director of the secretariat of *this*
summit, that: "The procedural reason given should not override the
principle at the core of the Summit : an Information and Communication
Society should have as its basis the respect for human rights and
fundamental freedoms, notably freedom of expression and freedom of the
press."

As explained by Alain Clerc in the CS plenary, when ECOSOC consultative
status of RSF has been suspended, it was too late for RSF to request
WSIS accreditation. This means that RSF could have been accredited, if
it was not this delay. Thus, the decision remains in the hand of the
secretariat. And, whether one likes or not RSF methods and practices,
this is now a matter of principle, and of symbol.

A summit on the information society that allows the participation of
governments that systematically censors medias but that doesn't allow
the participation of one of the leading international groups defending
those rights makes no sense.

Meryem