[WSIS CS-Plenary] Meeting of civil society and EU

steve at commedia.org.uk steve at commedia.org.uk
Wed Sep 24 12:56:22 BST 2003

The meeting with the EU was a missed opportunity in terms of pushing for a
stronger development orientation at WSIS. The European CS group really must put
development priorities at the top of the agenda, alongside its human rights
principles. I left the meeting deeply frustrated, not for being bounced off the
agenda by unscheduled CS interventions but at the lack of any critique of
European government support for a technocratic information society. The absence
of the european development ministries (with a few notable exceptions) is
creating a problem in discourse which CS has a responsibility to counter.

Steve Buckley

           steve at commedia.org.uk