[WSIS-CT] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Final version: Civil Society press release

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Sep 26 13:49:33 BST 2003

The sentiment of this letter seems at odds with those expressed in
the Press Release.  (Also spelling mistakes -- involvEment and
representATives.)

Having tried to follow the PrepCom via these lists (thanks for the
masses of informative email!) I thought something a little more
direct and less nice was required.

I read about you being kicked out of meetings, not even allowed as
observers, and generally ignored for most of the 2 weeks.  Difficult
to judge from here, but I think before a letter of this tone is sent
it would be best to see where civil society opinion has been
considered and where ignored.

We left the Paris meeting 6 or 7 weeks ago with the feeling that
fundamental rights were being dripped away by this process.  Are
human rights now properly acknowledged?  Do we have rights to
communicate, to privacy, etc.  How are Gender, Media and Disabilities
treated? (Amazing how people with disabilities can be so ignored, we
cannot build any infrastructure in our pre-info society world without
taking due and proper consideration of the needs of people with
disabilities, their fight for equality seem pretty much blown in the
next society.)

Hope I am over reacting.

Thanks,

Adam